Questions about XPize install/uninstall

Francesco

I had some questions about XPize install and uninstall

1. What happens if I install XPize and then install another version that doesn't patch some files anymore over the previous install? Are the files that aren't patched anymore reverted to the backupped versions or will they remain patched?
  2. What happens when I uninstall XPize if some of the files have been patched by windows updates after I installed XPize? For example I install XPize and then some hotfixes that overwrite some windows system files that XPize patched: does XPize leaves those files intact or does it restore the backupped version?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. having those answers on the FAQ would be great.

I had some questions about XPize install and uninstall
  1. What happens if I install XPize and then install another version that doesn't patch some files anymore over the previous install? Are the files that aren't patched anymore reverted to the backupped versions or will they remain patched?
  2. What happens when I uninstall XPize if some of the files have been patched by windows updates after I installed XPize? For example I install XPize and then some hotfixes that overwrite some windows system files that XPize patched: does XPize leaves those files intact or does it restore the backupped version?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. having those answers on the FAQ would be great.

1) Files not patched anymore will not be restored. I will let you all know when a version can be upgraded or must be installed cleanly.

2) It restores the backup version.

2) It restores the backup version.

Isn't that risky? For example I may install XPize then some security hotfixes come out and when I uninstall XPize the files that were patched by the hotfixes will be replaced with older versions creating security holes. Is that it?

Actually XPize ONLY saves and patches the resources so even when uninstalled you would still keep the newest files you have on your systems i.e. any hotfixes you have installed before uninstalling xpize will still be installed.

What's the "C:\windows\xpize\Backup" dir used for then? Aren't those files restored?

Actually XPize ONLY saves and patches the resources so even when uninstalled you would still keep the newest files you have on your systems i.e. any hotfixes you have installed before uninstalling xpize will still be installed.

What's the "C:\windows\xpize\Backup" dir used for then? Aren't those files restored?

You're right. That's a XPize flaw that I've just fixed. XPize Reloader will backup newest files, so when uninstalling you will have latest version of files restored. Coming in next version ;)

You're right. That's a XPize flaw that I've just fixed. XPize Reloader will backup newest files, so when uninstalling you will have latest version of files restored. Coming in next version ;)

What happens to those who don't use xpize reloader when they uninstall xpize? Will they still get old versions of the files restored?

Yes, but XPize is an install and forget app. You dont have to think about uninstalling it after 2 months. If you dont like it, you will realize in a couple of days maximum, right? Anyway, this is fixed for next one.

Yes, but XPize is an install and forget app. You dont have to think about uninstalling it after 2 months. If you dont like it, you will realize in a couple of days maximum, right? Anyway, this is fixed for next one.

It may even be an install and forget app however since people are forced to uninstall it before installing new versions don't patch some files anymore it's an enormous security risk if old versions of the files are restored: it makes the system vulnerable. Also it breaks applications like WMP that do an heavy check on all the files versions.

You shouldn't backup the files: you should backup the replaced resources and put them back if the files is still the same you patched when you uninstall xpize. That way you save hd space and also you avoid all security risks because the system files dll/exe code remains the same and only resources are changed.

Edited by Francesco

It may even be an install and forget app however since people are forced to uninstall it before installing new versions don't patch some files anymore it's an enormous security risk if old versions of the files are restored: it makes the system vulnerable. Also it breaks applications like WMP that do an heavy check on all the files versions.

You shouldn't backup the files: you should backup the replaced resources and put them back if the files is still the same you patched when you uninstall xpize. That way you save hd space and also you avoid all security risks because the system files dll/exe code remains the same and only resources are changed.

You're wrong. New XPize versions can be installed on top of old ones. No need to uninstall.

You're wrong. New XPize versions can be installed on top of old ones. No need to uninstall.

But you told me in another post that if a newer XPize version doesn't patch a certain system file anymore it won't restore it! If I want the file restored I have to uninstall the old xpize and then install the newer version.

For example I install an older XPize that patches a file that doesn't like being patched and starts giving problems: in the new xpize version you may fix that problem by having xpize not patching that file anymore.

But users using an older version of XPize if they install the newer version over the previous one will still leave that file patched and the problem will persist: the ony solution is uninstall the old version and install the newer one.

Edited by Francesco

If you have problems with a file, of course you must uninstall it yourself, then install the new XPize version. Also, I always add code in new versions to try to fix old versions issues and make the upgrade transparent and bug free. but be sure that if a new version of XPize requires the uninstall of an older one because important changes have been made, I will state it clearly.