Windows; Windows.old.000

bonestonne

ok, i just did an upgrade [not a clean install] of 5536 a couple weeks ago. it kinda took up plenty of room, and im trying to open up a little more than +/- 4GB of space on this 40GB Deskstar is it? doesn't matter, its a 40GB drive.

when it installed, it kept the previous windows in a folder called Windows.old.000 which i promptly deleted, for i had no use of it. all i didnt delete were the files that it said were still used. no use in screwing it up. now Windows.old.000 takes up 60MB of space, which is fine by me. yesterday, i put all my music on this hard drive because i need the slave as a temporary drive for my newest computer.

the folder called windows, im assuming that its needed, but wanted to check first.

the music is taking up 11.1 GB of space [although in reality theres 14.2GB total], but that still leaves about 22GB, [the finished partition is 33.7 or something close to that]. i don't have much installed, but im wondering whats taking up so much space. on my windows XP drive, i had it partitioned down to 20GB out of 40, half for XP, half for Linux, which worked out fine, i only used about 9GB of room with windows, then when i deleted linux and expanded XP, it went flawlessly. i know whats on that hard drive, whats taking up space, etc.

im just wondering what ate the memory on this computer and if the folder Windows can be deleted. its taking up 7 some odd GB of space, then theres my music taking up 11.1GB of space. thats roughly 20 GB right there. where'd the other 13 go?

vista uses around 10 - 12 gig it self, there are features like VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) and other features that use extra space to, it wouldn't suprise me if you check the windows folder and you see most of hte space you are missing is listed there.

alrighty, i'll look into it once i fix my XP drive...which is a handful...a big one.

i deleted linux and the grub boot loader now says error 22 on boot, so i need to find a way to get rid of that because i don't want to reinstall linux. i've got the drive in as a slave now, and i can go into everything, open documents and back stuff up if i need to....thats one thing i like about vista...passworded OS's just get bypassed when you put them in as a slave in vista. :thumbup