Need some PC expertise regarding MP3/DAP players and OS's

E-66

I'd like to get an MP3/DAP player but the specs for the newer/better ones always say they require Windows XP. I use a customized version of Win98SE on the last computer I built because it's extremely stable, fast, and a small install (OS under 30 MB). None of the software I use requires XP, and I'm not a fan of its bloated size or 'product activation.'

So when these newer players say they 'require' XP, is that because of the bundled software that comes with them for transferring the files to the player? Is that software even necessary? If the players included a simple Win98 driver couldn't you just drag & drop files to the player using Windows Explorer like you would with a flash memory drive or card reader?

What do Linux users do for MP3/DAP players? Have a backup system that runs Windows?

What are my options?

Edited by E-66

Just get one that will allow you to copy files over to the device manually (like using explorer over USB) and you shouldn't have to worry about it. You may not be able to run the bundled software, but most are crap anyway.

It can be tough to tell sometimes. If the package doesn't explicity state it, you can usually find out by reading an online review of the product.

Also, if the device has removable media then it may be more likely to be "friendly" in this regard. Not always, though!

By "many" I meant the generic no-named Chinese-made MP3 players that sell for cheap and work reasonably well, most of them are based on the same chipset. The situation is different for more expensive players like iPods (not sure but I think it requires its own driver)