DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
   OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\NVidia4523"

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword=*
   EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=85
   OemSkipWelcome=1

I get to choose the partition where I want XP installed, but it doesn't give me the option to choose FAT32 or NTFS, or allow me to format the partition - it just goes ahead with the install! I feel this is a rather uncomfortable way to go along with. Aren't there any other switches that I could utilise to solve this problem?

The partition you plan to install Windows XP onto, delete and recreate. None of the other partition will be affected, and the partition deleted&recreated will have the same size as it was previously.

Sounds to me like I should be doing this with something else other than FDISK... is this so? Should I be using Partition Magic or something?

Sorry if I'm annoying you somewhat here, but I feel genuinely stuck.

(For the record, the XP partition was created with FDISK but it was in FAT32. I assumed I would get the change to reformat it and change it to NTFS during Text-mode Setup but this was not the case. I daren't delete it through FDISK as this would mean having to delete nearly all the other partitions first (I say nearly, since it isn't C: that XP is on).)

Don't know if this will help you, but I was trying to format my external hard drive in FAT32 from windows (XP Pro) and ran into this problem as well. I ended up finding out that NTFS will be the default file system if the partition is 32gb or greater...

Since I needed to be able to read files from this external drive in older Windows 98 & ME systems, I formatted a smaller partition in FAT32 and the rest in NTFS.

Moral of the story: Windows 2000 and Windows XP Professional can format FAT32 volumes up to 32 GB only. Use NTFS to format larger volumes.

(Here's the LINK to the Microsoft.com tech article that discusses it.

Good luck!