wireless network at home ?! - help

kabucek

I want to create a wireless network at home for 2 PC and 2 laptops. I have LinkSys Wireless – G broadband router, DSL modem (DSL connection). Do I need something more, like DSL router, network adapter?? How to set up this correctly? How to make that secure??

Well this is kind of vague...

To actually set up the network you have what you need, although you will need wireless cards/adapters for the individual computers if you don't already have them.

Your DSL modem will plug into the "Internet" (or similar) port of the Linksys router. The router is already configured to connect to the broadband device and get its IP address. All the other computers on your network will connect to the numbered interface ports on the router (via network cable) or wirelessly.

(Note: This next part assumes that no configuration changes have been made yet to your Linksys router).

Out of the box, your Wireless router is probably configured to broadcast its network name and allow for un-secured connections. To enable security and set it up your network, what you want to do is connect a PC to the router using a WIRED connection. From the start menu, select "Run..." and then type "cmd" to open up the command prompt. From the command prompt, type "ipconfig /all" to verify your connection--you should see an IP address of "192.168.x.x" for your active network adapter. Open up Internet explorer and type the address "192.168.1.1", which is the standard default private IP address for most Linksys routers I've encountered (this address will be listed as "default gateway" in your ipconfig from above). The default password is "admin" with a blank username. Once you've connected to the HTTP interface GUI, you can make the necessary configuration changes for your network, primarily enabeling the security features you want.

ok, i did connect dsl into the wireless router with cable and one PC with cable into wireless router. i insert a cd that was with linksys box and do the next-> next -> next when it's checking the status i've got message that the router is not connected to the computer and "check your network adapter". why i've got this message? and when i try different configuration of cables i've question about a password but "admin" is not working. where get the password??