Can this acti0n done!

xtremee

CLSID (Class ID)

What is a CLSID?

A Class ID (CLSID) is a 128 bit (large) number that represents a unique id for a software application or application component. Typically they are displayed like this "{AE7AB96B-FF5E-4dce-801E-14DF2C4CD681}".

You can think of a CLSID as a "social security number" for a piece of software, or a software component.

What are they used for?

CLSIDs are used by Windows to identify software components without having to know their "name". They can also be used by software applications to identify a computer, file or other item.

Where do they come from?

Microsoft provides a utility (program) called GUIDGEN.EXE that generates these numbers. They are generated by using the current time, network adapter address (if present) and other items in your computer so that no two numbers will ever be the same.

1st thanks for ypu excellent reply,

They are generated by using the current time
But, if you check Yahoo messenger you will findyclsidfy3.jpg

this mean that every program have specific ID that not generated and build in the program !!!

Regards,

Xtremee

Edited by xtremee

What I actually meant was if programs write to your user specific reg keys (those with unique user SIDs) then they need to be changed when transplanted.

Programs might well bring their own CLSIDs but it's possible that Windows may generate more.

What I actually meant was if programs write to your user specific reg keys (those with unique user SIDs) then they need to be changed when transplanted.

Programs might well bring their own CLSIDs but it's possible that Windows may generate more.

That is great, but How i can know if i need to change CLSID?

i.e. As there are IDs generated and ID don't so, How i know if the program have its own ID or not? also, If the program use generated ID How i can generate one for it?!

Regards,

Xtremee

Lets keep it simple.

In regedit, the HKCU hive is mapped to one of the HKU\S-1-5-21-SID hives. So if you use the HKCU hive for exporting and importing, you won't have to worry about the user specific SID.

As for prog CLSIDs, I think they usually use the same. The easy way to find out is to install the same prog to two different computers and compare the registry keys.

As I said before, settings and registration keys can usually be imported without difficulty.

1st thanks for reply,

Lets keep it simple.

In regedit, the HKCU hive is mapped to one of the HKU\S-1-5-21-SID hives. So if you use the HKCU hive for exporting and importing, you won't have to worry about the user specific SID.

As for prog CLSIDs, I think they usually use the same.

i don't think that is much right.

FOr HKCU you will in your first installation of window that windows will make the same Key have name"S-1-5-18" also the 2nd key is always "S-1-5-19" and the 3rd one MAY be it always have the same name "S-1-5-20" but the 4th, 5th,...etc are GENERATED there different from windows to another and also different from installation to another.

So, i don't think that it work right. All i need is to replace this key with the one i have in my PC then apply this registery.

===============================================================================

Can i make connection between Hive and another?

i.e i wanna to amke connection between Software hive in my OlD windows and Software hive in my run windows.

Don't wanna to just apply.

Regards,

Xtremee