pc shuts off by it self

shahdad

hi all

any help would be great,

my pc shuts off by itself after a while

i turn it on, come back and its off. it even turned off while i was just using it.

when i try and turn it back on it will not turn on. i have to unplug it, wait about 10 sec, then plug back in and then it turns on.

i opened the case and the only thing ive noticed is that the light on the motherboard goes out after the 10 sec when its unplugged

cpu is celeron 1.8

mb is asus p4p800s

let me know if anything else is needed, thx

most motherboard have those LEDs as indicators, to show if it has an active powersupply.

1) you may have a bad powersupply

2) your BIOS batter may need to be replaced

3) you may not have consistent power supply for the computer from the wall

you may also want to check the power button leads, make sure they aren't falling off or anything.

a cable may be loose, something may be touching something that shouldn't be.

there are more questions than solutions for this.

thanks for the reply,

i think it might be the batt b/c the power supply is good and all leads are connected. i dont suspect any cables as they are fairly new

but one question

if the battery is low that could cause the comp to turn off even if its plugged in and turns on initially?

well, the battery is a last resort thing, and its only something to consider if the computer is 7+ years old.

just because cables look good, doesn't mean they are. it may be internal damage to the powerpack. which can be caused by a power surge. if at all possible you should get the leads checked on the pack.

my best thought on the subject is that theres a short circuit somewhere causing it.

yup looks that way, short somewhere

and its not the battery, just took it out and its in the green

ill have replace cables one by one and go from there

i called asus tech support, he didnt even care about the problem, he checked to see if it was under warranty and it was so he said call the rma dep during the week and get it replaced, lol, ill take a new mobo

but for now ill screw around and see if i figure out where the short is

thanks

i forgot to ask

what are the chances that its overheating?

fan speed is at high rpm, all voltages are in range, cpu temp was about 40C and board temp was about a

is that too high? and do mb have a auto shut off if temp goes too hight?

i cannot find anything in the bios that resembles C.O.P. where i can change the value

all i can find close to that under the power setting is apm configuration where there are many settings i can choose from but nothing to do with cpu temp

there is a throttle slow clock ratio - thats set at 50% - dont know what it is though

under hardwarre monitor, cpy temp rises to about 40C and the mb temp stays around 25C

im going to leave it in bios and monitor the temps and see if it shuts down at higher temps

if i wanted to swap out hte power supply what do i have to check to make sure its compatible? does it just have to be atx?

thanks

Those are idling temperatures, they'll be much higher under load.

I'm thinking it's overheating, especially when I read

when i try and turn it back on it will not turn on. i have to unplug it, wait about 10 sec, then plug back in and then it turns on.

Also, does it make a strange sound (much like a high-pitched squealing or whine) when it turns off? If so, the shutoff was due to something shorting out and activating the overload protection of the PSU.

Also, does it make a strange sound (much like a high-pitched squealing or whine) when it turns off? If so, the shutoff was due to something shorting out and activating the overload protection of the PSU.

Your Power Supply Is Faulty!!! That is where the high pitched sound is coming from!

Replace it ASAP, or it could fry your mainboard! ...also, since the power supply is faulty, check the Capaciters in the upper left by the processor to make sure none of them are bulging/swollen or look like battery acid coming out. If there is, then you need a new mainboard as well.

I’d say your power supply is failing…

Make sure all your fans are spinning, including the CPU cooler fan and the PSU fan then clean the dust out of your case. Also make sure to blow some canned air into your PSU to blow the dust out of it, you’ll be surprised how big the cloud of dust will be.

I’ve seen a few power supplies do exactly what you’re describing… they heat up and shut down and the only way to get them back online is to unplug them for a minute or two. You can get a new one at Newegg for about $40…

There should be a temperature monitoring utility for your motherboard on the disk that came with it, if not or if you’ve misplaced the disk you should be able get it off of the Asus support site. Download Prime95 or OCCT to put your processor under %100 load and check the temps, CPU temp should be under 60c

Edited by Spyvie

• 2 weeks later...