SVCPack Issue

Every time that I use my UA installation I find several directories similar to the two below, at random partitions. They seem to be caused by the SVCPack updates. I cannot delete these directories, the files are locked by the system, and they are becoming a pain to look at. I like to find a way to remove them without using brute force, or even prevent them from being created in the first place.

Does anyone have an idea as to why they appear or can nudge me in the right direction to prevent them from appearing when I reinstall?

E:\0a3a0735a1d330754d6447\update\cstupd1394sidspeed.dll

E:\0b64587d0c7e413814b4f622\update\updspapi.dll

I get nothing like that when I update from the Microsoft site, by the way.

These directories are extracted from the KB######.exe and they also occur during manual updates but normally get deleted immediately afterwards. It happened to me before when one such dir is left behind with Access Denied. I use WinPE to delete it.

These directories are extracted from the KB######.exe and they also occur during manual updates but normally get deleted immediately afterwards. It happened to me before when one such dir is left behind with Access Denied. I use WinPE to delete it.

I thought as much, thanks for the confirmation, Takeshi. I was hoping to find a way to prevent them from being left behind but brute force works too.

How do you install things from svcpack and what

With svcpack.inf at T-13 of UA install.

[setupHotfixesToRun]

KB873339.exe /Q /O /N /Z

KB885222.exe /Q /O /N /Z

... more updates...

KB912919.exe /Q /O /N /Z

KB913446.exe /Q /O /N /Z

QChain.exe

With the svcpack method the KB######.exe needs to be extracted so you can't stop it from doing that. Normally something in the update file self deletes it afterwards and I suspect sometimes it doesn't happen.

The residual files and directories have no hidden or system attributes. Even when I give Full Control to the Administrators in the folder's ACE I still couldn't delete it in Normal or Safe Mode.

QChain.exe

not again...:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I need to revive this topic hoping to get some answers. This is frustrating me.

Still having the randomly named folders created during UA Installation by the updates and hotfixes. The thing that throws me off is that this doesn't happen when I test the installation in VMWare, nor does it happen when I install on a PC with a single drive. I also have no problem if I do the updates manually. It only happens when I install on a multi-drive system. I'd hate to have to disconnect drives to do a UA installation, it defeats the purpose of the project right from the start.

I attempted to delete the directories at a later stage of UA, after the hotfixes have been installed but the system has not initialized to lock them, but I discovered that the names are not static. They change with each installation. It boggles my mind.

Suggestions, anyone?

i use /quiet /norestart instead of /Q /O /N /Z

Thanks for your suggestion, it was worth a shot but it didn't work. Updates still leave undeletable files behind.

Something occured to me. Before, I was using straight IDE partitions. Now, I'm using a Raid 5 configuration. Could there be a relationship between the two? I can't be absolutely certain but this issue came up around the time that I started using RAID. I've been using UA for a year and a half now and only in the last month have I been having this problem.