VPN - XP/2000

datazing

Hey all.. Im wanting to introduce a VPN into our company's network. Basically we have about 6 telecom technicians that work out in the field and it would be great if they could remotely access our server to get patches, PDFs, etc. Any ideas? I was looking at one of those netgear or linksys "VPN/Firewall/Switch" combos to achieve this. What do you think?

Ive visited netgear and linksys' websites to look for some manuals on the product but really didnt find what I was looking for. Does anyone have a good link to a "VPN 101" article? My understanding of this is that you hook up your hardware VPN... set its security settings (usernames/passwords or whatever) then put the client software on the technicians laptops and they will be able to specify an IP and connect to it with their uname/passwd. How far off base am I on this? Thanks for the tips guys. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use a cisco PIX 506e vpn/firewall (about $1500) for my companyies vpn.

here is their overview, but its kinda vague.

it also depends on what kind of access you want them to have. you could always point them directly to a single dedicated computer, or use RRAS....

The way I learned at school was using RRAS on win2k or win2k3 server.

It can do the authentication as well as the crypting.

Just let the TCP port pass through your firewall (I just don't remind wich port it is)