Update packs question

Doctor Trout

Hey guys.

I always used to use RyanVM's update pack, then I switched to Xable's lite pack when I started trying to reduce my OS. However, it occured to me, does it really matter which one I use? I know the difference - that Xable's only installs high priority, and Ryan's installs all the updates - but I'm not really sure how the update process works.

I mean, say, for example I remove component X. Component X consists of xyz.dll - therefore xyz.dll is removed from my system. Then say, for example that Microsoft updates xyz.dll and, so, the update of xyz.dll is included in Xable's update pack.

When the update pack is added to my install in nLite, does nLite realise that I have removed xyz.dll and so not add that file to my disc from the update pack? I mean, if that's the case, I don't see why I'd want to use Xable's pack as opposed to Ryan's? I mean, neither pack would add anything else to my disc, they'd just replace existing files with new versions?

Am I right in thinking that, or have I misunderstood the process slightly?

No, nlite is oblivious to updatepacks, that's why you should updatepack then nlite.

So I should fire up nLite, add the update pack, when that's finished close it, then fire up nLite again, and then remove components? Well... you learn something every day! I've never done that...

well, if i'm not wrong i think nlite first integrates the pack and then removes the components. so doesn't make a difference does it.

another way is to use ryanvm integrator to add the pack to your windows setup files and then run nlite.

I think what he's trying to say (and I'll be the first to admit that I'm kind of inexperienced in exactly how nLite does things) is that my pack adds a few new languages via an updated intl.inf. Since Update Pack integration and component removal are done at the same time, nLite isn't able to detect those new languages when you run it the first time through since it's working with the original intl.inf on the CD when it's seeing what languages are there. That's why he's saying to integrate Update Packs first and then do component removals.

That being said, I'm not completely certain if that's what nLite does. I think nuhi may actually scan the update packs for a newer intl.inf prior to determining which languages exist so it can all be done in one pass. nuhi, care to confirm or deny that? :)

Edited by RyanVM

It doesn't scan for a new intl.inf until the process has started then it does use it and cleans it, thus you have only the new languages.

Would be good if it scans and asks a user to refresh the sections connected to the INTL content...but you gotta admit this is really stretching it...what if a user decides to remove that pack, then it should reread the old one...ahh it's kinda too complicated, not impossible but unneeded for something that trivial.

If you want to remove those few extra entries and files then integrate only the pack with nlite, restart it and continue as before or for more experienced users extract that INTL.INF file from the update pack (pro and home be careful) and makecab it to intl.in_ and replace the one in the i386 folder, or if you don't know what makecab is lol then just extract that new INTL.INF file to the i386 folder and delete the existing INTL.INF, nothing else is needed to do besides run nlite as you would normally do all in once.