Changed license key, but genuinecheck.exe still gives same value

barwick

I've changed my license key to the valid key I received, but when I try to Validate my copy at microsoft.com, it says it's invalid.

When I go to run GenuineCheck.exe, it returns the same value than it did before I changed the license key.

Does windows store this value somewhere on the PC? And shouldn't it automatically clear the cached value when you update the license key?

I've deleted the LegitCheckControl.dll that was on there, and also did a serch for anything called WGA on the PC and deleted or renamed it, and it's still giving the same value.

Edited by barwick

LegitCheckControl is WGA plugin for IE. It doesn't store your license but it checks everytime when something from IE requests it.

And M$ aren't too stupid... your licence key isn't cached but encrypted in the registry.

Did microsoft say what type the serial was, e.g. retail,oem etc and does it match the type of disc used to install windows?

Basically, you're pretty sure both disc and key are corp? Even the new serial that microsoft gave you? That can't be vlk.

Ask them for a retail/oem disc (whatever matches your key) and use the recovery console or format.