IE6 installation source not available

Wijono

I need to change something on IE6 under WinXP SP2, I clicked "Start" -> "Settings" -> "Control Panel" -> "Add or Remove Programs" -> "Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2" -> "Change". But then I got following error message:

"The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

Where in the Registry that I can modify to work around that problem?

Or is there something else that I can do?

Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

The WinXP was installed from network, not from installation disk.

Meanwhile I found out that I also had the same problem with other Microsoft products, such as Microsoft Office 2003, Windows Media Player, etc., all gave the same error message.

To fix that problem, I was forced to use the “Windows Install Clean Up” from Microsoft for all those software that has problem, then reinstall it. It is OK now. It would be much better though, should there be a simpler way to solve such a problem, is there any? Also, it is not clear what may have caused that kind of problem?

This happens with programs that use msi.

Either the install path or some other reference in the registry is incorrect or the installed file location on the HD or network has changed. It's a pain when it happens.

This happens with programs that use msi.

Either the install path or some other reference in the registry is incorrect or the installed file location on the HD or network has changed. It's a pain when it happens.

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here.....but speaking of a "Pain"....Office 2003 falls into that category.

I find it constantly fighting with other programs like "Spyware Blaster" and wanting to load some new routine.

If you have the CD for it, that's a minor pain in the bucket, but when the software came pre-installed on the PC and you don't have the CD, it's a real "PAIN".

My only real fix for this is to completely remove Office 2003 and replace it with Office 2000.

My software guru says that reinstalling Office 2003 and installing ALL modules will fix the problem but I've never been able to get that to work for me.

Your mileage may varry.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here.....but speaking of a "Pain"....Office 2003 falls into that category.

I find it constantly fighting with other programs like "Spyware Blaster" and wanting to load some new routine.

If you have the CD for it, that's a minor pain in the bucket, but when the software came pre-installed on the PC and you don't have the CD, it's a real "PAIN".

My only real fix for this is to completely remove Office 2003 and replace it with Office 2000.

My software guru says that reinstalling Office 2003 and installing ALL modules will fix the problem but I've never been able to get that to work for me.

Strange... We have 4000 PC's running Office 2003 over here and we have never experienced anything like this :blink: