Any MLG'ers here?

Robillion

Are they are other fellow Major League Gaming members here?

For those that are not aware what MLG is.. it is the professional competitive gaming league for console gaming. It is HUGE right now. Halo 2 and Super Smash Brothers Melee are played competitively at tournaments all across the US. Seven tournaments a year with a Playoffs and a Finals at the end. HUGE money. Every tournament first place for Halo 2 4v4 team is like 15k.. and payout goes to top 8. The league even signs professional players too... the top Halo 2 team, Final Boss, has a MILLION DOLLAR contract (250k per person). People will see more about it when the tournaments are aired this fall(starting in Nov) on USA network. Check it out. We may see me on there and if so Ill say on here ;). Ive been to 5 MLG events.. very fun stuff.

www.mlgpro.com

It is also a really bad opinion. You are getting confused with professional PC gaming. LIke the Cyber Athlete Professional League. Ive been to 5 MLG events and have never seen more than 4 or 5 people in the 2000+ at the events that could be categorized as "nerdy". But you are right where many of the players are between the ages of 15-21. If they are making good money at that age playing a video game then let them. It is pro CONSOLE gaming.. more mainstream. MTV has done multiple specials on it thus far. Including 2 MTV True Life's. People will have a much better understanding of pro console gaming when USA network airs the events starting in Nov.

For many it is a career already.. may seem like money gone to waste.. but its just like any other entertainment career/competitive career.

PS: if you are saying loser because you dont think they have a job.. no need for them to get another job if they are making 300k + a year and many pro players start their own business off thier success as well. None of them plan on during this their whole life, lol. (unlike pro PC gaming)....

Hey.. anyone that is planning on going to the Digital Life Expo this year in New York... MLG is actually holding it's season playoffs at the event so you can see for yourself about it if you attend. I cant wait for the Digital Life Expo this year.

Edited by Robillion

i know what it is. ive seen a special on HBO about it. its just that i couldnt posibly think of that as a job. and i also couldnt have fun by watching people play video games. and i dont see how they can get payed that much, but according to that HBO show the top guys do... just plaing video games all day is not all that fun to me, putting my brain to work to help people is a better way to spend my life. i just beleive that all jobs should have a purpose, if there is no purpose then why have it? im not trying to be offensive to anyone here but this is just one of my views on life. thats one of the reasons im a moderator here, i love to help people out, i learn and have fun at the same time. video games help no one and that money could go to a better cause.

Well.. its only a job for them for so long you know. When they are older they grow up and use thier fame/money to start their own company or go into entertainment.. something like that. If you know the game and follow the teams then spectating the games are actually very exciting.. just like watching any other sport really as in spectating. You just have to know about it. I most def am not comparing it to a sport because it isnt.. but it is the same in entertainment value if you follow it and understand it. Most people would stop playing by like 24 tops. I quit playing professionally about 5 months ago and Im 20.

• 1 month later...