RAM Dividers

eggie

Hello all,

At the moment I have the following system and i was hoping that someone could talk me through what changing the RAM divider will do to an overclock, how to do it and any pros and cons. Any help would be great, I want to try and learn as much possible.

CPU : Athlon XP3000+ @ 2.16Ghz

M/board : Abit AN7

RAM : 1Gb Crucial PC3200 and 2 * 256 at PC2700

Video card : Gainward 6800GS 512mb Golden Sample

If any other system specs would be helpful just post...

Thank you :D

well not changing the divider is the best to do, it makes the cpu and ram run at the same frequency. the only point to use a divider is when you reached ur max cpu overlock, can the ram run that fast? say your cpu is overclocked at 290mhz x 9 = 2.61ghz

now there is no way that your ram will run at 290mhz unless you paid an insane amount for it and got really lucky. so this is where you would use a divider to make the ram run slower. you could run a 9/10 divider which means that the ram would run at 261mhz which can be done by most ram.

No need for you to run a RAM divider as neither your CPU or memory is overclocked. Since PC2700 runs at 166MHz (333MHz), and your processor also runs at 166MHz (166x13), then you're using the optimal 1:1 RAM to FSB ratio.

Not all the Athlon XP's are unlocked. Only the first few batches were unlocked after which AMD started locking all thier processors. The only ones unlocked were the Athlon XP mobile processors.

Secondly, I wouldnt recommend putting a RAM divider on your specs. The older NF2 systems run best when run @ 1:1 settings.