Buying a new Motherboard/CPU

Whulph

A lot of question, but don’t be scared :).

The RAM you can test with a program called memTEST. Nothing bad will happen if you throw in that RAM into another computer, its 2.5-2.7v DDR so it will not burn or something. Just make sure to unload the PSU by disconnecting the power cable and by pushing after that the power on button in frond of your computer.

About the X2: The X2 will be made until the end of the year AMD says, they already lowered the production and the processor will be harder to find in a few months. Most of the companies who import AMD will sell there stock now and not even buying new S939s any more, even the Sempron on socket 754 is loosing life but I think it will last a bit longer as budget/upgrade processor although prices of AM2 are dropping and DDR2 too. On the end it’s like this: You get what you pay for, even more now that the Intel/AMD war started again ;).

IT LIVES!!! MUHUHAHAHA!!!

Finally, I have my computer back! Thanks all, for the help. :thumbup

Only problem so far is Windows; I think it was killed. Can't seem to boot into it, it only gives me the option of Safe Mode, "Last known good configuration," and "Normal startup", none of which actually work.

It seems I can boot into Linux fine with my boot floppy, so the hard drive seems okay. I think the Master Boot Record is messed up. I don't really know much about the MBR, so I think I'll just try reformatting the Windows partition after I back up a few things with my Linux partition, and hopefully I'll be good to go again. (It was a recent Windows install anyway, and all my really important files are already on the Slave drive.)

I only have three final questions now that the thing is assembled:

Firstly, my CPU fan "blows" cold air onto the CPU heatsink, where as my old one "sucked" the hot air out. Does it make much of a difference in which direction the air flows?

Secondly, is it better to view the temperature of your CPU/RAM etc. through the BIOS, or through a program? Is one way more accurate than another?

Lastly, what's considered an average temperature for a CPU? I want to make sure I did a good job with the thermal paste stuff.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help. Hopefully I'll be posting from my own computer soon. B)

"Firstly, my CPU fan "blows" cold air onto the CPU heatsink, where as my old one "sucked" the hot air out. Does it make much of a difference in which direction the air flows?"

That is normal with coolers these days ;).

"Secondly, is it better to view the temperature of your CPU/RAM etc. through the BIOS, or through a program? Is one way more accurate than another?"

It’s the same and it’s crap, they use the same sensors en the readout through the BIOS, always it’s an indication of more or less 10oC accuracy...

"Lastly, what's considered an average temperature for a CPU? I want to make sure I did a good job with the thermal paste stuff."

Who cares, if it doesn’t crash with a 24h burn in test it’s okay :P...

"Anyway, thanks again for all the help. Hopefully I'll be posting from my own computer soon."

Your welcome... ow that wasn’t a question :lol: ...