Test Install stuck at "Loading your personal settings"

I'm a newbie still trying to create my 1st unattended disk.

Base is a DELL OEM XP Home v.0 CD. Basically I used nLite to do everything except add Drivers. I added no other applications. (Slipstream SP2, Ryan's latest hotfix updatepack as well as a couple of Addons (WMP10 & WPA). No Drivers added. Removed components, Unattended Set-Up, options, Patches, tweaks, created ISO.

Testing installation using VMWare Workstation 5.5.1, everything was going well untill the boot screen appeared saying "Loading your personal settings", and stayed that way for 30 minutes until I exited the VM.

I didn't think that stage should take so long (30 minutes or longer), even though I made quite a number of 'customizations' in nLite. Am I wrong about this? Is this wait normal?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what may be causing this 'hang-up'? I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything similar. Help, please!

Anyone? This may be a ridiculus noob question, but I need your experience and insight here.

Testing installation using VMWare Workstation 5.5.1, everything was going well untill the boot screen appeared saying "Loading your personal settings", and stayed that way for 30 minutes until I exited the VM.

I didn't think that stage should take so long (30 minutes or longer), even though I made quite a number of 'customizations' in nLite. Am I wrong about this? Is this wait normal?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what may be causing this 'hang-up'? I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything similar. Help, please!

Edited by Mr Reorg

'Test Install stuck at "Loading your personal settings"' immediately suggests a problem with profile or registry.

But you're trying to install a DELL OEM in non-DELL system, and you did so many other things.

I think the first thing you look into is the OEM, have a look at previous posts on OEM disks. Either remove the OEM stuff or try a non-OEM source. Take it one step at a time.

Well, I started from scratch, only using nlite, testing the ISO image using VMWare, after each step. That is to say after slipstreaming SP2 only, then adding update packs; then adding addons, then removing components (double-checking not to remove items I was unsure about), etc.

Each step of the way I had no problems. I finally got the Image to work after all 'tweaks'. In the end, my Dell OEM CD was usuable. So I gues the problem was in one of the settings (or conflict between two) that I previously used in nLite.

Takeshi,

Your assumption is incorrect. I am not trying to install a DELL OEM in non-DELL system. I am looking to reformat my PC with a fresh install, on a 4.5 year old Dimension 8200. [crying] It's so old its got an Intel 850 chipset mobo and a Williamete P4 @ 1.8 gHz[/crying]. Unless your statement refers to the Virtual PC environment

Edited by Mr Reorg