Windows 98 3rd edition?

janus zeal

Im working on a windows 98 project to add some usefull features, like having the usp built in, all MS updates installed, firefox, etc. i also want the cd to have some usefull tools like a dos ntfs driver, a disk manager, etc.

Are there any features people here would like to see? and does anyone have any tips they could give me?

Ive make custom cds before, but never this much.

Thanks!

Edited by janus zeal

I have something different in mind. I have found PCSS on this forum. Using Advanced Inf Setup methods I'm able to create custom Windows 98 setup components. Then you can select during Windows Setup what to install.

So far I have created custom components for MDAC 2.8 SP1 and TweakUI 1.33. My next targets are Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and DirectX 9.0c.

MDAC 2.8 replaces MDAC 2.1 completely. So no leftovers!

Nice about this method is that you actually replace Windows Setup components. So very fast installation.

I call it the Windows 98 Integrator Project.

Big problem is that it's a bit time consuming to set up :whistle:

I have something different in mind. I have found PCSS on this forum. Using Advanced Inf Setup methods I'm able to create custom Windows 98 setup components. Then you can select during Windows Setup what to install.

So far I have created custom components for MDAC 2.8 SP1 and TweakUI 1.33. My next targets are Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and DirectX 9.0c.

MDAC 2.8 replaces MDAC 2.1 completely. So no leftovers!

Nice about this method is that you actually replace Windows Setup components. So very fast installation.

I call it the Windows 98 Integrator Project.

Big problem is that it's a bit time consuming to set up :whistle:

That seems easyer then what i was going to do (autorun scripts for everything after setup was done) how do you do it with PCSS? i cant find any info...

If you can figure a way to have XP Software work on your 3rd edition, that would be great!

Thats also part of the plan. ^_^

Edited by janus zeal

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...927&hl=pcss

Here you find some customization scripts. Very informative. The author used these scripts to rip out most stuff out of Windows 98.

I would really like it if you could work on supporting more hardware by default in Windows 98. Especially Motherboard chipset drivers and updated IDE drivers. There is lots of information inside the PCSS.exe package.

There is also the Windows 98 Seven Years Later Unattended CD project: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...p;hl=unattended

that uses the standard Unattended CD installation method.

However I still prefer the inf-modding PCSS project. When installing systems speed counts!

Edited by hp38guser

You could extract all the contents of the CABs, replace files with updated ones, remove unneeded files (e.g. online services crap) and then repack, then edit the INFs to create a truly custom install.

A custom windows setup component install would be awesome, something along the line of 98lites embedded os (not the normal 98lite). With the ability to shrink windows down to a level where only required files, registry keys are installed. Less files etc less vulnerability along with a rock solid os.

Having the ability to switch the shell between 95 and 98 at will (for usb bluetooth support etc),an option for 982me,xp software support,greater than 512mb and LLXX`s large hd support would be so handy. Especially if it is modular.

It would certainly breathe some life into the old girl yet and be the envy of many alternate os users who need a greater space for just their chosen operating system than we would, for a total chosen package. I have several 9x os`s on one hard drive which i select via a modified floppy to select the one i want to do a certain task with. A tiny ram one for ebay, a multimedia capture/convert one, a general messing about one etc

In the words of the immortal frog song

win or lose

sink or swim

one thing is certain we never give in

side by side hand in hand

we all stand together

Alright, i want to do this, but im going to need help.

I dont know how to write the custom INFs, although with someone directing me i can figure it out.

Who wants to help?

edit~

I might not be able to write the INFs without help, if not im going to make an image based install, then write a program to configure the system after the image is extracted to the computer...

Edited by janus zeal

I need help with the windows INFs.

I also need generic drivers for system devices like lan cards, etc...

I have a disk manager and ntfs driver (all the old dos utilities will be there too, edit, format, fdisk, etc~) , is there anything else you would like to see in the \tools\ folder?

I have investigated the Advanced Inf DelDirs command. However it doesn't work quite well. Most of the time folders are not deleted. So I came up with this for MDAC uninstall. Notice advpack.dll is called for the Advanced Inf instructions:

HKLM,%KEY_RUNONCE%,"MDACPostRun",,"%25%\rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %17%\mdac28.inf,MDAC.PostUninstall"
HKLM,%KEY_OPTIONAL%\MDAC,Installed,,"0"

[MDAC.PostUninstall]
DelFiles = MDAC.Files.Sys,MDAC.Files.ADO,MDAC.Files.MSADC,MDAC.Files.OleDB
RunPostSetupCommands = MDAC.Remove.PostSetupCommands:5

[MDAC.Remove.PostSetupCommands]
"%25%\command.com /c rd ""%28730%\System\ADO"""
"%25%\command.com /c rd ""%28730%\System\MSADC"""
"%25%\command.com /c rd ""%28730%\System\OLE DB"""

Is this a safe method to uninstall folders?

Never mind. I go for the official method described below. The real problem is Windows internal RD command not allowing to delete empty folders. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It's the same using the DelDirs section commands:

HKLM,%KEY_RUNONCE%,"MDACPostRun",,"%25%\rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %17%\mdac28.inf,MDAC.PostUninstall"
HKLM,%KEY_OPTIONAL%\MDAC,Installed,,"0"

[MDAC.PostUninstall]
DelFiles = MDAC.Files.Sys,MDAC.Files.ADO,MDAC.Files.MSADC,MDAC.Files.OleDB
DelDirs = MDAC.Remove.DelDirs

[MDAC.Remove.DelDirs]
"%28730%\System/ADO"
"%28730%\System/MSADC"
"%28730%\System/OLE DB"

Note I won't use Deltree for this, since I don't want to delete folders when there not empty. Empty subfolders aren't such a problem I think

Edited by hp38guser