M$ Windows XP>>Windows Vista>>Windows Vienna?

T D

thats insane. its really getting out of hand. vista isnt even out, and now, they are wanting to release new ones. i can see that there will be newer versions of windows, but jeeze. vista will most likely only be about 3 years old after public release when they release a new one. people are going to get fed up with having to constantly update and upgrade. they should have a mandatory minimum of 5 years between os's that way people wont get too angry about it all.

plus, if they work on one os at a time, wouldn't it make a better os? tell me im wrong :unsure:

(just venting :lol:)

Well, Blackcomb (Vienna) has been in the works since XP as part of the Whistler>Longhorn>Blackcomb programme. Not so long ago Microsoft released a new OS every 2-3 years. This is the longest time there hasn't been a new OS, but people weren't complaining before.

And Fiji is only really Vista R2 at the moment so not a big change.

i first heard it will come out in 2009/2010, not a change.
i first heard it will come out in 2009/2010, not a change.

Double post! Somebody ban him!

Fiji isn't Vista R2. The R2 releases are reserved for servers, and only add new features, so as to keep the compatibility level the same. Rather, Fiji is a small, interim update to keep the consumers happy while they work on a larger project. And with the amount of delay that Vista has caused, I wouldn't trust the roadmaps much.

• 5 weeks later...

I remember when Blackomb was in serious discussion... around the early Longhorn alphas. Now it is Vienna.

Now think about this. The original, circa-2001 release schedule was this:

Windows Longhorn: 2003

Windows Blackomb: 2005

2003 and 2005! Hahaha!

Edited by WBHoenig

I wonder if this OS is going to be more of a huge system hog like Vista. Which I'll probably say yes.

well ya.. but also imagine the new computer technologies coming out it the next 5 yrs... lol

im sure in 5 years when the vienna beta's are hopefully out, that most of us will have a new computer.