Which Registry change controls the 'All Programs' list?

GLO

I have attached the a sample from Firefox.

this is the list of files i see when i click

Start>Programs>Firefox

The same happens with all other programs.

In Start->Programs-->Firefox

What is Firefox up there, an application or a folder?

I am getting a little confused now.

Here is my start menu

startmenubj6.th.jpg

and by looking at the properties of Mozilla Firefox (Not the application but the containing folder at start menu)

prpertiesde0.th.jpg

Edited by playsafe

I have attached the a sample from Firefox.

this is the list of files i see when i click

Start>Programs>Firefox

The same happens with all other programs.

In Start->Programs-->Firefox

What is Firefox up there, an application or a folder?

I am getting a little confused now.

Here is my start menu

startmenubj6.th.jpg

and by looking at the properties of Mozilla Firefox (Not the application but the containing folder at start menu)

prpertiesde0.th.jpg

Its an image of a folder, however the contents are the same when i go start>programs> Firefox

It wouldnt let me take a screenshort of the programs menu, so i took it of the contents in the folder, which all the files are originating from.

Its an image of a folder, however the contents are the same when i go start>programs> Firefox

It wouldnt let me take a screenshort of the programs menu, so i took it of the contents in the folder, which all the files are originating from.

What i can see is... Your Start -> Program Files points to the c:\Program Files\ or D:\Program Files where u have installed ur Programs.

What should it be?

whereas it should point to C:\Documents and Settings\Yasir\Start Menu\Programs ---- First check by exploring through to this folder and see if it exist there. and change the registry key as suggested earlier.

Start Menu > All programs has shortcuts from your own Start Menu and All Users Start Menu Programs. It depends on the program.

Mozilla Firefox shortcut should be located in the All Users\Start Menu\Programs, simply because it should be available to all users.

Inside, it should have 2 shortcuts:

Mozille Firefox, Target pointing to the path of the exe.

and

Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode), Target pointing to the path of the exe with the -safe mode switch.

Start Menu > All programs has shortcuts from your own Start Menu and All Users Start Menu Programs. It depends on the program.

Mozilla Firefox shortcut should be located in the All Users\Start Menu\Programs, simply because it should be available to all users.

Inside, it should have 2 shortcuts:

Mozille Firefox, Target pointing to the path of the exe.

and

Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode), Target pointing to the path of the exe with the -safe mode switch.

Yes, u r right. A Start Menu will be a combination of All Users's "Start Menu\Programs" and your own "Start Menu\Programs" folders.

"Start Menu->Programs" is the place where shortcuts are. Whereas @GLO is pointing towards the "c:\Program Files" Folder which contains the exe and all helping files such as dlls, so it shows all the installed files in that folder.

Cant clarify more than that

Edited by playsafe

Perhaps i should initiate a rebuild and i can list the changes that i want to make.

I know most of them, but as this thread has indicated, i adjusted the wrong one and have this minor mess.

My set up is

C: XP pro sp2 (lean as possible, keeping all temp files and non OS files on other drives)

D: programs (i want d:/program files/ as teh default folder install location)

E: data

(which includes the

- all documents and settings including 'my documents' and shared documents

- Local settings.

- temp file folder location

- page file/swap file

- common files

- temporary internet files

- downloads

- $ntservicepackuninstall$ (hidden folder)

- Outlook pst files.

If you can help me with a definitive list that would be great!

What i usually install XPpro sp2 (using an nlited and slipstreamed disc) then make these registry changes, then run XP updates a few times to catch all the updates.

Then i install Office XP and install all the updates then i do the all the other programs..

Eventually i want to be able to make a ghost of the OS drive and if anything crashes, i can then just re-install that OS partition. ( i havent learnt that one yet?)

Takeshi and Playsafe, i realy appreciate your help with this post!

If I read it correctly, it's not an unattended install, but you want to make the changes manually afterwards?

It'd make things easier if you list the ones you know and those you don't.

Hi Takeshi,

The only one i really messed up was the program files.

but id like to be certain for all documents and settings including 'my documents' and shared documents

- Local settings. as well

I believe i have the othrs down pat.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

At this location there is a key "ProgramFilesDir", which is set to "c:\Program Files". IMO u only need to change this registry key for changing the installation Directory.

U can confirm it by changing this registry key and then trying to install some program.

Also I have a point in my mind, How the c:\Program Files folder could be moved which is created while OS installation to install default Programs like Accessories etc..

Also how will you move "Documetns and Settings" folder.

EDIT: Also have look at these

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal = %USERPROFILE%\My Documents

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\StartMenu = %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal = c:\Documents and Settings\Yasir\My Documents

Edited by playsafe