music question

prx984

i have two albums on vynil (the beatles red and blue albums) and my dad wants them copied to the computer, however when i start to record them to my desktop they dont sound very good, i have the recording rate at 44.1khz, and 16bit (audio cd quality) and im using the line in on my desktop and the tape 1 output on my stereo.

the problem i am having is when i play the files back, they have a weird distortion in the back of the right and left channel, as if my computer isnt recording it properly. i have done many records before, and never had this problem. but now its doing it.

anyway, i just want to know if its legal to download the same songs from a p2p program. if its not, i wont and ill see if i can record the records again using a different computer, but i just wanted to make sure before i do something illegal.

i dont see why it would be illegal though, i have the original vynil prints and lets face it, my dads not going to carry around 4 vynil records with him lol :P he just wants the songs on his mp3 player for his car.

any input is appreciated :) thanks for reading

regards, cygnus

edit : never mind, ill just use my brothers computer to record the records onto the computer. it seems as though my sound card might be dead. :(

edit 2: lol now that i have a lot of free time (recording 4 vynil records is going to take a little while) i decided to do a lot more research and i have found out that:

if you own a song on vynil/cassette already, its illegal to download the song from a p2p client such as kazaa.

why? i dont know, but im not going to argue with that.

anyway, feel free to delete this post mod's.

Edited by Cygnus

When I need to rip something like that, I usually plug my mp3 player in and use its LINE IN function to record.

The quality is usually very good.

4 days ago, I recorded "Zelda : Link's Awakening" intro; it's a GameBoy theme.

(it's also pretty funny to play SuperMario at max level on a HiFi system :P )

lol i know, my mp3 player records through a line in, but... well... it uses the plugger encoder and im a bit of an audiophile and it doesn't sound very good. so i just used the line-in on my brothers computer and split the songs up and well, it worked quite well :P

thanks for the replies guys :)

i tried using my laptop, but it was distorting the sound for some reason. its an ESS maestro 2 pci audio chip. and the one in my desktop is a SiS 7018 audio board (onboard) and it worked fine in my brothers computer (he has the same audio board)

anyways, thanks for the replies guys :)

Rip Direct From Vinyl to mp3

First you need a ria converter or a mixing board (dj mixer).

When i rip vinyl i use :

Rodec mixer

Software:

Wavelab

Ps if you connnect the turntable direct into your pc you will get distortion

Regards

djaage

• 1 month later...

:hello: late to the party, i know.

you need two things really, any stereo amplifier, and Adobe Audition [for best results]

only use Line In if you have an amplifier. if its not pre-amped when going in through line in, it will sound like its being played through a cardboard box.

you open up adobe audition, and you press F10 while looking at the multi-track view [its all laid out, you'll see it]

then when amplified, get the audio levels to about -3dB. -3 is standard for all mp3's. then, once you've leveled it out:

click record on Adobe Audition, play the vinyl, and then split the tracks when each side is done.

as an amplifier, you can use a receiver. not a guitar amp.

if its not amplified, use microphone, as you can amplify that easily without a decrease in quality.

IM me or whatever if you need that explained any better. i set up a 32point sound board at my schools radio station that can record into adobe audition from any source. when it comes to audio, im the main man for my school, as i've mastered adobe audition, and use it at home for recording SNL, concerts on TV, etc and so forth.