[Question] Purchasing XP OEM

Obscurity

I have a question for Zxian or for anyone else who can help me. Since were talking about installing xp this seemed the right place. I bought this comp a year ago(it has xp home on it) and it did not come with the windows cd's. I just recently purchased a new hard drive and I want to do a clean install on the new hd. I am going to take the one that came with this comp and set it aside for now. Then I am going to get a copy of xp pro(the OEM version) from one of the places that pricescan.com recomends. But I had a few questions first.

1 Can I get it at the same price or cheaper than $104 usd if I buy directly from microsoft. How much would it cost me?

2 This is what I consider the most important question. I know that the OEM version will have little documentation. It basicly comes with the install guide and nothing else. Can I sucessfully partition and install the copy of windows that I get with the docs that come with an oem version. This will be the first time I have ever done something like this.

3 Do I need to get a 3rd party app to partition the drive? Or will the copy of xp I buy have an app to partition it?

4Is there any adivce or tips you can give me to make this install go as painlessly as possible.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

First off, OEM versions of windows are modified to the specific manufactuer needs. Where the retail version (non-oem) are full copies without mods. Now, oem versions have specific keys to oem manufactuers, VL - Volume Liciense specific to groups who have volume agreements (i.e MSDN subscribers) and retail. Respectfully i recommend getting a full version copy of Windows Pro.

Regarding partition and formating with oem disc(s), i have several oem PC (Windows XP PRO) that do have the ability to create and delete partitions and format with NTFS, XP Home can format NTFS and FAT32.

Edited by Shindo_Hikaru

In addition, there are also OEM versions without the mods - those that are bundled with desktops and notebooks from small system builders. (Yes, there are notebooks that are assembled/built to order and sold by small system builders)

Both Home Edition and Professional (OEM, Retail, VLK, etc.) have the ability to delete, create, and format partitions in FAT32 and NTFS file format during setup.

Edited by Esquire

1 Can I get it at the same price or cheaper than $104 usd if I buy directly from microsoft. How much would it cost me?
You're probably better off buying it from a third party seller on sale. I know that here in Canada, I can purchase XP Pro OEM for $149 CAD. Have a look around online to see what kinds of prices you can get.
2 This is what I consider the most important question. I know that the OEM version will have little documentation. It basicly comes with the install guide and nothing else. Can I sucessfully partition and install the copy of windows that I get with the docs that come with an oem version. This will be the first time I have ever done something like this.
The internet is my documentation. I rarely look at the built in Help in Windows, nor have I ever opened the manual that came with my install.
3 Do I need to get a 3rd party app to partition the drive? Or will the copy of xp I buy have an app to partition it?
You will be able to partition the drive if you format the drive that you're installing on. Windows does not support resizing of partitions, but you can format and create any sized partition you want during Windows setup.
4Is there any adivce or tips you can give me to make this install go as painlessly as possible.
Back up all your important files and start from scratch. If you built the computer yourself, write down all the hardware components and the websites where you can download drivers for them (Google will help you find these). If the computer is pre-built, find the manufacturer's website and download all the drivers for XP and then burn them onto a CD or copy them to a USB key. Also, make sure that you have a proper anti-virus and firewall ready to install after you've installed Windows. If you don't have any, I recommend Avast Anti-virus and Kerio firewall. You can get both at www.filehippo.com.

Next, physically disconnect your computer from the internet. This is important since an unprotected computer could get infected very easily.

Once you've done that little bit of prep work, go ahead and install Windows. Make sure your computer is set to boot from the CD. This setting can be changed in BIOS (usually press DEL or an F-key when you first start your computer - before anything else loads). You'll have to dig around in the menus in BIOS to find the option (just a note - it's keyboard only here). Once you've got that done, put the CD in and restart the computer.

From there follow the on screen instructions. There really shouldn't be anything that's too complicated during setup. You'll get the option to partition your drive during the initial setup, and then all the other settings after that.

Once Windows is installed, install all your hardware drivers from the CD or USB key. Reboot whenever necessary. Then install your anti-virus and firewall.

Connect your computer to the internet again, and then go to Start->All Programs->Windows Update. Install all the critical updates. Your computer will need to reboot after this. Repeat this last process until there are no more critical updates available.

That's pretty much it! Install all your favorite software and you're good to go.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
First off, OEM versions of windows are modified to the specific manufactuer needs. Where the retail version (non-oem) are full copies without mods. Now, oem versions have specific keys to oem manufactuers, VL - Volume Liciense specific to groups who have volume agreements (i.e MSDN subscribers) and retail. Respectfully i recommend getting a full version copy of Windows Pro.

Regarding partition and formating with oem disc(s), i have several oem PC (Windows XP PRO) that do have the ability to create and delete partitions and format with NTFS, XP Home can format NTFS and FAT32.

Thank you for the advice but I still have a question. If I have a Compaq\Hp computer does that mean I could not use one that was ment for dell? I am not sure how exactly the volume licences or mods would effect my installing or running it on my computer wich by the way is a compaq\hp comp. :unsure: Could you try to explain it a little more.

P.S. Zxian and everyone else thanks for the input. :thumbup

am i the only one that actualy knows the windows licence - AS buying an OEM licence without a new computer is ILLEGAL

i think you should buy a retail as - i dont even think that a OEM version of windows can be upgraded ...

as of how you'd install Home on this new drive i dont know, - i gues its most likely to buy a new harddisk from your OEM and you probably would have gotten a new system image installed on the disk. - i guess now you should try and retrieve the install-files from the old harddrive ....

or probably be a little less legal and make your life easy (no one would know as long as you'd be using your own oem-key)

Let me make this whole Licensing thing clear. I am quite familar with this. Being a builder myself.

Microsoft OEM System Builder Agreement where it stated that an OEM Microsoft Desktop Operating System license could be sold with "non-peripheral" hardware and how this perceived "loophole" was being exploited by many who listed OEM Microsoft Windows XP Pro licenses for sale with a cable or some other dimeshop "non-peripheral" hardware item. Well, now simpler OEM terms which were the same for OEM Server, Desktop Operating System, and Desktop Application licenses and as of September 1st a NEW OEM System Builder Agreement went into effect. Here are some of the changes you need to know about:

Software Distribution section of the Agreement, you will notice it now states

4.1 We grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute an individual software license only with a fully assembled computer system. A "fully assembled computer system" means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.

Meaning, that OEM is for system builders who are authorized to supply Microsoft OEM software with their builds.

Edited by Shindo_Hikaru

am i the only one that actualy knows the windows licence - AS buying an OEM licence without a new computer is ILLEGAL

Buying OEM Windows licences without a computer has always been legal. The sale of licenses is covered by the SBLA and not the EULA. If the COA is purplecoa_1.jpg, greencoa_4.jpg, or bluecoa_2.jpg then the software can be resold in the sealed multi-pack or with non-peripheral hardware. If the COA is yellowcoa_sysbldr_1.jpg it can only be sold in a sealed single-pack or a sealed multi-pack, individual units (with yellow COAs) from opened multi-packs can no longer be sold with non-peripheral hardware.

OEM Office licences can only be sold in sealed single-packs or sealed multi-packs. There never was an exception for non-peripheral hardware for Office licenses

THANK YOU Bezalel!!!!!

This whole licensing thing is CRAPOLA big time. You can get the **** OEM version online as I posted a link a few days ago. I can even get it from my local PC store, and have even asked the question whether or not it was legal. One store whom the techs there I have known for many years say YES it is still OK. As a matter of fact the other day when I was there they were ordering OEM's from their MS rep. They even have it on thier store shelves. So WTF is going on??

jd

Here's the link

http://www.google.com/search?q=xp+pro+oem&...:en-US:official

Edited by 03GrandAmGT

OEM software was originally developed for small manufactorers. You usually purchase OEM software with various pieces of hardware. It is legal, licenseable, upgradeable, and doesn't cause problems with MS update.

The one caveat to be aware of is that it is meant to be tied to the machine it is first installed on. Be sure to buy

from a reputable reseller to insure that it is not a counterfeit copy or a corporate copy. If you upgrade enough

hardware, you may have to call MS and get a new activation. Have done it many times without problem.

Also have 3 copies of XP Pro on 3 different computers.

Just clear up the term OEM.

This is Microsofts defnietion of OEM

What is an OEM license?

ANSWER. An “OEM” license is a license distributed by an Original Equipment Manufacturer, or an “OEM.” An OEM is a person or company who builds and sells computers. Some OEMs also distribute software, especially operating systems such as Microsoft® Windows.

If I “retire” a PC with an OEM license on it, can I use that software on a new PC?

ANSWER. No. To put it simply, OEM product is “married” to the original PC on which it was installed. Current OEM licenses are not transferable from one machine to another. The software cannot be moved from PC to PC, even if the original PC it was installed on is no longer in use. This is true for all OEM software – operating systems and applications.

If I upgrade some of my PC components, do I have to purchase a new operating system?

ANSWER. The answer depends on the components that are upgraded or changed in the PC. The operating system licenses must remain with the device that retains the motherboard, chipsets, and chassis that include the serial number of the device. The operating system may be installed on a new/replacement hard drive as long as the operating system is first removed from the old hard drive.

Ok............I decided to see if I could get some clairty on this issue. So I went and contacted the Microsoft pre order line and the answer I got was this. It is ok to use an OEM on a single computer so long as that OEM is not a voume licence. Volume licences are only ment for corperations.

Buying OEM Windows licences without a computer has always been legal. The sale of licenses is covered by the SBLA and not the EULA. If the COA is purplecoa_1.jpg, greencoa_4.jpg, or bluecoa_2.jpg then the software can be resold in the sealed multi-pack or with non-peripheral hardware. If the COA is yellowcoa_sysbldr_1.jpg it can only be sold in a sealed single-pack or a sealed multi-pack, individual units (with yellow COAs) from opened multi-packs can no longer be sold with non-peripheral hardware.

OEM Office licences can only be sold in sealed single-packs or sealed multi-packs. There never was an exception for non-peripheral hardware for Office licenses

:hello: I would like a little clairty on one point please. I found a place thats selling a copy of xp pro OEM. They are selling it in a cd case with the cd key and a yellow COA on the case. Is that still a legal and valid copy for me to buy and use. BTW Thanks for the excelent info. :thumbup

:hello: I would like a little clairty on one point please. I found a place thats selling a copy of xp pro OEM. They are selling it in a cd case with the cd key and a yellow COA on the case. Is that still a legal and valid copy for me to buy and use. BTW Thanks for the excelent info. :thumbup

Once a Multi-pack or Single-pack with the a yellow COA is opened it can only be sold with a "Fully Assembled PC" and must be preinstalled on that PC. If you want to purchase a single copy you must buy a sealed Single-pack. These are harder to find because most resellers would rather buy a 3-pack or a 30-pack at a discount and break it apart and most end users aren't familiar with the new rules. A sealed Single-pack will be packaged as follows:

The 1-pack will come in a padded envelope, and will have the OEM system builder break-the-seal license agreement affixed to the front of the envelope. Inside, you will find just one individual software license (which includes the Certificate of Authenticity label, hologram media, and documentation).

1License_Env.jpg