Problems Logging out

sven

After running my OS for 17 months without a format, I have reached the point when Windows is unstable. I know I should reinstall windows and all that, but I’m waiting for my laptop to arrive. It’s on its way, should be here in 3-4 weeks. So once that happens, I’m formatting and everything.

This is my problem: when I click logout, the computer does nothing. I tried to close programs I don’t need then try, and it's still locked up. I'm forced to log out using the task manager (which works on the first try). What could be causing this problem, and is there a way for me to fix it? I also have no problems at the welcome screen shutting down, so it’s something that loads with the user.

Also, this seems to have happened around the time I installed a Bluetooth, so that might have broken Windows.

Thanks a lot, I’m willing to try anything

UPHClean should do the trick for you. Another thing you can try is to just recreate your profile. alot of times the OS is still fine you are just having a user profile issue.

Restart your computer

rename the profile folder under documents and settings

log off admin

copy over your desktop, favorites, start menu, and My Documents folders

change your theme and background

now unless you have done major customization to your desktop, this will fix your problems with slow profiles

ok, thanks. im alraedy using uphclean for another problem (doesn't seem to work for me) and this problem is for all the profiles. i'll see if i can log out with the unused account, and if it works, i'll copy everything over.

You can try ending processes and stopping services until you find what process or service is preventing you from logging out. Once you have this information we might beable to give more helpful advice.