Block Downloads by MSN Messenger

I want to block file receiving from MSN Messenger. But to allow downloads through some link on browser.

Is there a way?

Also can I be a little selective, Like allowing it on some systems and blocking on some others.

I am using Wingate Pro 6.0 as proxy in windows 2000 Server. And it will be migrated to win 2003 standard Server.

If you are in an AD domain you can use Group Policy to prevent software usage altogether. This would allow you to restrict certain users.

Here is a Wingate FAQ that you may find helpful.

And if want to go with the port blocking solution, you might also find this page useful. It is intended for an ISA audience, but the port info and port blocking tactics are relevant.

@LLXX - I will surely give it a try, you are right MSN Messenger uses port 6891 for file transfers. I also read it here http://www.experts-exchange.com/Security/Q_21899381.html that it uses a range 6891 - 6900. So I will give it a try for both cases and come back with results.

@TAiN - I want to allow users running msn messenger, but to stop them from receiving any files through it. One of ur link related to ISA server was helpful in finding out the port range used for file transfers.

Thanks for ur replies.