Can't Ping PC

LiVeWiRe

Hi all

I have a PC running XP on a network. Even though I have turned off the windows firewall (I have even tried booting with the firewall service turned off) I can't access the PC's shared folders or even get a response via a ping request (I only get its IP). I have also made sure the network connection is running the correct client and network services including file and print sharing. The PC can been seen over the network but not accessed.

The PC can get an out going connection fine. It has the correct ip settings (DNS, default gateway etc.). It can surf the net, look at other network resources fine.

As far as I can see there are is no other firewall software installed on the system.

Has anyone got any ideas on why I can’t connect this PC via the network?

Thx in advance

Firsty, What os is the other machine running...

Secondly, I know u said that u cannot see a firewall running, try to verify this many firewalls require the client and host pcs to be running the same software. Zonealarm and Sygate are classic examples of this.

Update us soon

Sunil

Not having a reply from ping request and not being able to access shared folders are two different problems.

Just saying "a PC running XP on a network" is too vague. It helps to know more. Also, how have you set up the folder sharing permissions.

You are saying that Other system cant ping ur XP system and also cant access its shared folders.

Can u tell if this XP system can ping other system preferably some windows2000 system.

I think this would work. On the Win XP system Open My Computer, In Tools ---> Folder Options

VIEW Tab and then scroll to the last option in Advanced Settings named "Use Simple file sharing" uncheck it.

Now try to ping this XP system or access it by UNC to see the shared folders.

Hope that would help.

Hi

sry the Use Simple file sharing didn't work.

I have tried pinging the problem XP system from both XP and 2000 PC's, neither worked.

The problem PC is connected to a 2000 server domain. no other XP systems on the network are haveing problems.

The network share I am trying to access is the system C$ ( I have the permissions to do so) but is not working.

any other ideas on why I can't access this Xp system?

Edited by LiVeWiRe

The problem PC is connected to a 2000 server domain. no other XP systems on the network are haveing problems.

The network share I am trying to access is the system C$ ( I have the permissions to do so) but is not working.

You're being a little too vague in your descriptions. When you say it's not working what is the exact error message that comes up? Are there any related event log entries on either system? Also, what kinds of firewall or security apps is the problem system running or is it behind any device that could act as a firewall?