Notebook Video Cards

stickzilla

I'm not going to be making the purchase just yet, but I'm hoping to get a Dell Notebook in the next few months. I'm definately waiting for the next line of Duo Cores to be released, plus as it draws closer to christmas I"m hoping prices drop nicely.

Anyways -

I'm considering an E1705, but the E1505 really looks good also.

I've done some light internetting on the cards they list with these, but was wondering if anybody here can give some quality info on them.

I'm not looking to make the notebook a gaming box persay, however I definately want to have my options open if I do decide to pick up a recent FPS and go to town.

The top video cards offered in these models (note: I'm not interested in the XPS, way too much money) are the :

Nvidia Go 7300

Nvidia Go 7900

ATI X1400

The Go 7300 and X1400 are closish in price, while the Go 7900 is quite expensive.

What I"m wanting to know is, how do these actually perform ? My current desktop is over 3 years old now, and I have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB that has treated me well. I was able to play Doom 3 fine enough, Far Cry, and UT 2k3.

I'd like to possibly be able to play America's Army, Quake 4 ? and who knows what else possibly on a notebook. I play a lot of WC3 but no question if that would run fine B)

Anybody have experience with these cards and able to give a realistic comparison to the 9800 pro / tell me the limitations of these notebook video cards ?

Well they will all play current games at lower rez, but as far as being ready for anything coming up in the next say year or two, they will seriously underperform.

The 7900 would be your best bet, but I don't think the E15 even has that as an option right now.

Look at it this way, your current 9800 will spank a X1400, as it's not really a good card for gaming in general, none of those cards are except the 7900. The 7300 is comprable to the nivida 6200 series.

In laptop gaming there aren't many options in the midrange budget right now.

Ahh ok, pretty much as I figured. I may just splurge and opt for a big bad Go 7900 then when the time comes.

Is there any upcoming release of a next generation of notebook class cards ?

I haven't heard of any, but keep in mind the desktop card is usually going to come first then the notebook. With the way it is now, whatever is coming out for the desktop group should make it's way to notebooks eventually.

They tend to step together with notebooks slightly behind.

Edited by SupaFly-TNT