computer doesn't print

yujie zhu

I have a hp laserjet 1200 printer, which worked fine up to about 2 weeks ago. Basically it doesn't print. I'm quite sure the problem is with my pc, and not with the printer, since the printer works on other machines. I have reinstalled the driver, both the one that came with the printer, and the one on the hp website, and it still doesn't work. When I try to print a document it does one of these 3 things:

1) shows an error message and says the document was unable to print

2) says the printer is out of paper, when it isn't

3) keeps printing sheets of paper with strange symbols on the top line of the page (like stars, question marks, diamonds. etc.) and it doesn't stop unless I turn of the printer, or take all the paper out.

does anyone know what's wrong and what I can do to solve this problem?

If the printer worked before until two weeks ago, then logically the driver was NOT to blame as such. If that XP driver worked before, then trying a Win2k driver just doesn't make the best sense.

Why don't you first try uninstalling the printer completely from XP, then reinstall it and see?

HP's own printer driver package is mostly a huge mass of useless bloatware.

I suggest you just install the standard HP PCL6 driver, it supports all HP laser printers and already comes with Windows XP.

What changes did you make after installing the drivers?

Are all of your programs not printing or just some specific ones?

Since you are getting symbols, it seems there is communication but the communication is messed up. That sometimes happens when printing certain pdf files on printers that do not support the pcl language.

try programs like notepad to print and see if it prints correctly.

Are you using the old Centronics parallel printer port for that printer?

I've got one friend/customer who lives in a very high lightning area.

Over the past five years he's lost a half dozen or more printer ports to lightning damage.

I finally stopped replacing mobo's for him and started using add-on printer port cards.

You can also use a USB to parallel adaptor. Many retail electronics stores like Best Buy sell them.

If you had a printer port test plug and test program like "Check-It Pro", you could test the port.

A PCI printer port card might be your cheapest way to go.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 (alias, The Printer Man)