Dual Boot Nightmare!

Drewdatrip

ok heres the situation...

Orignially i had Win98,which was on my C: drive. When i got got xp i put it on my E: drive, which i converted to ntfs. i have a d: drive which is for storage and is fat32. i was having some BSOD on the win98 partition, so i desided to reformat it...forgeting that the orginal boot.ini file was on it....now after reinstalling 98 on the C:, i cannot boot into the Xp partition(E:)! i was woundering if there was anyway of booting to the Xp partition..Maybe though some editing of my boot.ini, or a boot loader.

Thankx...im really lost..and i dont want ot have to reinstall xp

-drew

It sounds as if you are talking about seperate physical drives: Drive 0 = C & D and Drive 1 = E. If that is the case, I can probably help, as that is the same setup I have (at home). Let me know, and I will email the contents of boot.ini to you. You should then be able to copy that into your boot.ini and be good to go....

Lance

LS..C and E are the same drive just different partitions of my 20gb hd. the d is a seperate HD.

If you dident understand, ill put it simple. i had win98 first then i got Xp on my e drive. but because i installed 98 first the boot.ini file was set on my C drive. When i formated my c drive i lost the boot.ini. I still have a perfect Xp set up on my E but i cant access it becasue im running 98 on fat32.

Im wondering if i can rebuild my boot.ini from 98 to detect Xp. So i can load it from start up

thankx

-drew

drew - try creating this boot.ini in the root of the C: drive. I have the same setup win98 on c: and winxp on d: -- if it doesn't work, you can alsways boot to a dos disk and delete the created file and re-boot.

boot.ini content follow here:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

C:="Microsoft Windows"