[Question] - add English menu support (MUI)for windows xp chinese vers

vipha

my question is to convert a windows xp chinese version to enlish version, this means to convert the menu and all other places displays chinese to english. but leave alone the windows key( validation information) and software/drivers.

i've tried to find where Microsoft put these files,

anyone slove this problem must need to be a genius ^0^

You need to be a volume license customer. The MUI packs are not for retail sale. Also it is only availabe for XP Pro (so if you have Home then you aren't going to be able to use it).

AFAIK, there isn't any English lang MUI for localised versions of XP so whether it's VLM or XP Pro is besides the point.

The poster is, I think trying to make (DIY) an MUI in the MS fashion. For a start, have a look in the inf files inside the MUI folder in an En XP Pro with an MUI installed. And perhaps install an MUI and monitor what files are changed/added.

If you look inside an MUI CD, you'll find the corresponding language folder. Look inside and you'll find i386 and inside many MU_ files and others.

Once installed, some are found inside the MUI folder under the corresponding language.

I don't know in detail the MUI technology, but it looks like that it uses the English core binary and adds the corresponding language DLLs when you install the language MUI. Since the technology is only based on English, it looks too ambitious for you to attempt to make an MUI pack based on Chinese. It's not as simple as converting a standalone program's language.

the first step in this is if your copy of windows xp is Professional or Home.

Windows 95/98/Me operating systems, Windows NT, Windows 2000 Millennium Edition, and Windows XP Home Edition have only localized versions. They do not support MUI.

Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP for Tablet PC, Windows XP Embedded, the Windows 2000 servers, and Windows Server 2003 have both localized versions and MUI versions. An MUI Pack can be added to the English version to make it into an MUI version.

Windows operating system versions are divided into single-language UI versions and the MUI version. An MUI version of the operating system separates language-dependent resources from language-neutral code by placing the resource files in separate language-specific folders. This separation of resources is the key to the MUI technology.

Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP for Tablet PC, Windows XP Embedded, the Windows 2000 servers, and Windows Server 2003 , each hve single-language UI version is localized for a specific language. Versions of the same Windows operating system localized for different languages differ from one another in the language reflected in the resource sections of each portable executable file, for example, .exe file, .dll file. One other difference among localized versions is that input method editors are included only in the editions for the languages that require them.

The difference in UI language among localized versions of the operating system does not imply a difference in capability. All localized versions are enabled for all languages supported by the corresponding operating system release. Regardless of operating system UI language, users can edit and process text in all supported languages, and can run applications that have UI in any or all languages.

Windows 2000 Professional, Microsoft introduced the Windows MUI Pack. Installed on top of an English-language Windows operating system, this pack supports the MUI version of the operating system. The MUI version allows users to set the UI language according to their preferences, provided that resources for the required languages have been added to the operating system. A MUI version that is set to a particular language looks similar to a localized version, except that the following items are not localized: all 16-bit code, bitmaps, registry keys and values, folders and file names, and .inf files.

make sense to me, thank you all for your work.

I had tried colone all the files related to MUI from an English version to Chinese version.( using linux system)

failed

it seemed that microsoft is very strict on this, it sucks!