2 update packs, which one to choose?

murphy

That's a bit vague. However, I assume you mean RyanVM's pack, and Xable's pack (although there is a third, the WUzero update pack).

Anyway, the difference is this: RyanVM's pack contains all updates. Xable's lite pack contains only high prioritiy updates, so it's your choice whether you want to keep your install lite, or include all the updates.

Hope that answers your question.

What packs did you see ???

AFAICT :

Booogy's WUZero Pack(s) contains all hotfixes released on WindowsUpdate

RyanVM's Update Pack is the same plus non-public hotfixes, and a few more things (safedisc driver, makecab,...)

Regarding these two, the second is closer to a pre-SP3, but can contain hotfixes you don't need (look at the changelogs, both authors had listed each included KBxxxxxx with the fixes' descriptions)

++

Edited by Delprat

thanks for your answer

i guess i will prefer to use only the critical updates instead of the all package

and have things i dont need

i can always use windows update site after finishing the installation

i can always use windows update site after finishing the installation

Excuse me, I don't mean to be rude. But (at least, for me) the whole point of integrating updates using RyanVM's pack is so that you are completely up-to-date as of the Update Pack's release. (Granted, you have to download everything that came out after the UpdatePack, but that's just the way it goes.......) Critical updates are great, but there are more updates that really should be installed in addition to just critical updates. For more information on RyanVM's Update Pack, go to http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html. Links to information about all of the included patches are present there.

i didnt mean to offend ryan for his excellent work ofcourse

i just meant that i can always use windows update for more fixes

that are in ryan's pack but also with lots of other things that i might not need

unless ofcourse i can filter those things out in the installation process