What you don't like about Windows Vista

army20

Post things that you don't like in Windows Vista....

---> I don't like that there is no option to show the clasic logon prompt in the control pannel and CTRL-ALT-DEL twice does not work on the welcome screen to show the clasic logon prompt.

---> I don't like that the shutdown command only allow a maximum delay of 10 minutes

C:\Users\Martin>shutdown -s -f -t 3600

brings me the help message:

post-29668-1152557942_thumb.png

---> I don't like that when I click on shutdown in my classic style start menu it does not remember the last option I've choosed. It always get back to "sleep" by default.

post-29668-1152558150_thumb.png

Edited by army20

Limited Aero capabilities, I have an excellent intel 82915G express gfx card w/128mb ram and no Aero support (so it's not so excellent).

And I get 5 prompts asking "do you want to run this proggie", "windows firewall is blocking this program" etc.

And driver support.

TBH I don't really like Vista that much. Loads of questions asked for deleting a shortcut from desktop. Come on!!! I modded my xp mce to look like Vista and am happy with it. Not to mention the driver support, software support, etc, etc... Won't move on to Vista before it was tested and reviewed as a finished product. Bare in mind that it still is a BETA (meaning under construction/refining). IMO M$ could have come up with something easier to use. Just my 2 cents.

nitro

XP driver and software support can be done in vista.

I tested win98 drivers for Speedtouch330 adsl modem and it worked. LMAO! And visual basic, and my sound driver, and ZipGenius... Vista tells you if software didn't install because of not being xp and asks if you want to run it in compatibility mode (it doesn't say, but that's what it does).

But I have to go thru 5 security prompts to launch a proggie. :(

Will let you know tomorrow ;) Formatting a partition to install now.

But if anyone says "bloated and slow" I will roast them slowly in a garlic sauce. Everywhere I turn people are complaining about its speed and size... it's like everyone thinks "beta" means I'm-special-cause-I-got-the-OS-before-all-of-you!

:rolleyes:

Edited by SngBrdb

nitroshift i cot not said it better, to much pop up al the time with things i have to allow or denied and it use to much ram. I am not going to buy the final dvd release, i prefer my xp home XP SP2 installation and if i have to buy i new pc i will let my friend build me one and use my extra xp home cd on it.

Edited by the-matrix

in 5456 many if th pop-ups or UAC actions have been changed, and hopefully they will change it a little more. the Theory behind UAC (helping the user understand what is going on with their computer ie being installed, neing deleted etc) is a good one, just most people don't care about stuff like that and just want to get want they need done on the computer and as quickly as possible, security is sacrfice by many in exchange for speed. I agree the feature is annoying, but since i have been using 5456, it has not been that bad (and yes i can delete things of my desktop now without needing to say yes to deleting them :-D)

Well, for starters, I don't like Vista too much either.

Yep, I agree, that stupid security prompt is annoying when you launch a program. Of course I want it to run, is there a way to disable that annoying message?

The start menu... should have kept instead of expanding some inside menu, if you know what I mean instead of opening a menu on the right side like all versions of Windows post 95.

The folder file arrangement looks terrible. Don't like it. And the huge icons on the desktop looks crap as well.

Did I mention its slow? Microsoft should focus on performance, not pretty eye candy and visual effects.

And I heard Halo 2 is going to run on Vista only? Not everybody is going to upgrade to Vista, let alone afford it.

And I heard Vista might be delayed again. If so, I hope they will improve Vista. I'm not going to upgrade to Vista straight away.

i have a feeling when vista comes out in full, your still going to need a quick computer to handle it. my computer is no ancient piece of hardware, but its still fairly decent. and my rig could just barely run vista.

i dont like the aero interface either. i like the XP one the best to be honest. im using XPize and the regular xp interface and i like it.

i also dont like how they changed the start menu, now its just all on the one panel. i prefer the all programs menu. its much easier to find stuff that way. mind you if i played with it enough, id fully know how to use it, but i dont feel like learning anything new right now :lol:

windows explorer is horrendous, its terrible looking. the classic one worked, and its efficient, leave well enough alone :angry:

apart from all that, i like a few things they have changed. like the icons for instance, i like how some of them look, not all of them.

anyhoo, thats me.

if you don't like the programs menu just use the built in search feature there, it is quite good, also

@thunderbolt, what do you have in your rig? i am running a 2.4 ghz P4 2 gigs ram on a 40 gig drive for Vista and i have almost no preformance issues, just curious what you are running, please keep in mind to that this is BETA and it can only get faster, 5456 is much faster vs Beta 2 that was released to the public there will be another CTP build hopefully by the end of this week or next week also, with speed improvements

out of curiosity, to everyone that has posted on here as to having issues with Vista and what you don't like, have you all put in bugs and feedback requests to MS about the things you don't like?

i have, but i bet you any money they dont care because they want to change the stuff. usually stuff that i dont like, a lot of people do. so thats fine by me. if they do it, ill just stick with my older os's.