Registry Help

tal ormanda

CCleaner doesn't support Unicode. You'll have to go into the registry yourself to delete those (Start > Run > regedit). It's probably a corrupted key. Also, it won't look like a few question marks and a square when you get in there, so look carefully.

CCleaner can't take you there, because again, it doesn't support Unicode (and it thus cannot read the entries correctly). The entries do exist, but CCleaner can't properly display them - the NT 5 registry is fully Unicode but supports most non-Unicode functions. So, CCleaner is able to see that something is there, but it can't display it properly - instead it splits the Unicode into two separate bytes, and displays ASCII, question marks, or boxes, to replace the characters with a value higher than 255.

It also looks like it may have been associated with malware, since it's missing. :P

I've used several file/registry cleaners over the years and found many of them, including CCleaner seriously lacking. I tried it, hated it, then deleted it.

I use "Easy Cleaner" to clean my registry and my own XPCleanup.bat program to clean out folders on my HD where junk likes to collect.

Good Luck,

;)

It does look like this entry can safely be deleted. The entry should not normally be there and it could be malware, so check the the system32 folder too.

The MUICache stores many previously used records that can be cleaned out.

I see many people using this cleaner and that cleaner and often they cause more grief than good, either by overzealous cleaning leading to a corrupt system, or doing things you don't understand. The MUICache is just the case in point. The entries can be left there without much harm but here it keeps making a big fuss!

In the right pane, expand the Name column so you can see the full entries (drag the right edge of the column to the right), then scroll down until you find the entry with the path and file name (%systemroot% is equivalent to C:\Windows); when you find the correct entry right click on the name, click delete.

Just delete it. As I said, most of the MUICache entries can be deleted safely so don't worry too much or make a big fuss about what is really trivia. If you're really paranoid about editing the registry then leave it well alone, or back up the key first before deleting anything. It's no big deal!

Edited by Takeshi