IP Address Tracking Question?

adrian2055

I recently visited grokster.com to download the program and I was greeted with a message from the RIAA saying that the program is illegal to use and that "my ip address was logged" ( :blushing: I thought it was still working :blushing: ) . I've seen this on a lot of websites, but I don't exactly know what it means. My question is: Should I worry that the RIAA will try to come after me? I wasn't able to download the program because the links were removed and the site had links to other "legal" file sharing services that the RIAA recommended. So, technically, the only wrong thing that I did was visit the site. Am I in serious trouble or am I just overreacting?

P.S.-Would someone please tell me what files sharing services have been shut down and deemed "illegal" to use so that I don't make this kind of stupid mistake again?

No you arent in any trouble for trying to visit the site, for all they know you could have been redirected there from any number of other sites.

Ignore it. Its just a ploy to try and scare ppl into not using p2p for file sharing. All i say to that is Screw Them.

Thanks for clearing that up. One more thing....when I asked a friend about this i was told to change my ip using macshift and I did. Was it really necessary for me to change my ip and should I go back to my old ip?

Thanks for clearing that up. One more thing....when I asked a friend about this i was told to change my ip using macshift and I did. Was it really necessary for me to change my ip and should I go back to my old ip?

Macshift changes your MAC address. It is totally different. Did you mean that instead?

Just ignore... your IP address is logged on every website you visit anyway.

If you're really that scared, use a proxy or a chain of proxies.

Torrents and eMule are still considered "safe"... although it does depend on where you live.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I didn't think that this was a big deal in the first place. I just wanted to make sure (Sometimes your friends can actually be right.........sometimes). Thanks ScubaSteve, gamehead200, LLXX and Aegis for your help.

Edited by adrian2055