Install XP on SATA

moreten

Hi!

I tried to install windows XP on a new SATA harddrive. At first I had problems with the drivers but that I solved with adding the SATA drivers to a new Windows XP CD. But now when the installation is done and the computer is restarting I got an blue screen flashing quickly and then computer restarts.

I filmed the screen with my camera and it says something about a problem with my harddrive and if it's the first time I got the messege I shall try to restart.

Does anyone no what the problem might be?

Please help me, this computer are going to be my HTPC.

Regards Marten

i woudlnt include any sata drivers into your windows cd, most of the time you will get a bsod, i know i do. normally you you only need to install hdd drivers only for raid. what error do u get when u dont include the drivers?

That was an quick answer!! :)

When I don't include the sata driver to the CD i can't install windows.

I have put the drives on an floppy and then I push F6 at the begining of the installation and that goes fine. I find my drive, I can format it and start the installation. But then windows want's my floppy again and after that nothing more happends. All I can do is quit with F3.

There are no floppy drive on the computer so I'm using an USB-floppy.

I can't set SATA to IDE in the BIOS. :(

Edited by moreten

On a couple of occassions I have found the power & sata connectors on the hdd to be the culprits. I have had this experience with branded packged MOBOs such as MSI, ASUS & Gigabyte. These have a tendency to not connect too fiormly.

I have not had problems on sata drives with intel, nForce or via chipsets. If you are using something else my comment would not be valid. Till date I have never had to use F6 switch to install any driveres on any mobo. These are required ony in case of some exotic hardware that you may have. Your system should install & run normally albeit slowly without the sata drivers. Perhaps you have to set it in NON raid mode on the mobo. If your full capacity is visible in Bios it has to install otherwise you have some other hardware problem.

You can't simply enable raid. You will have to do a full configuration with utility from the controller's manufacturer. Honestly it does not make sense to configure a single disk to raid.

If your controller is on an addon card you are in big time trouble unless it has a decent bios & memory resident on bootup.

We have had similar problems here with new computer and onboard RAID controllers. Even when we completely disabled RAID it would still BSOD on first boot. This was most prevalent on the Dell XPS 600 with an nForce 2 chipset and RAID controller, we never had one of those work right. Our solution was kind of a work around, but it did work. We ended up using nLite to integrate all the drivers available for the motherboard into the unattended windows disk. That way you don’t have to "Install a 3rd party RAID controller" since the drivers are already integrated into windows. We don’t typically use nLite, so I'm not sure if it will work if you used it to build your image from the start; we have had problems with it in the past not letting us integrate anything new into the image. I hope this help.