Windows Boot Screen

playsafe

I have installed XPize on my WinXP SP2. It has really great and cool effects specially Task bar is outstanding. One thing i want to change though is Windows Boot screen (Light Blue Image screen with an X embossed). Is there a way to change that image with a custom one. Or use the original screen with that progress bar from microsoft while keeping XPize for all other great things.

@XPero Thanks for the effort on this software.

Edited by playsafe

I have installed XPize on my WinXP SP2. It has really great and cool effects specially Task bar is outstanding. One thing i want to change though is Windows Boot screen (Light Blue Image screen with an X embossed). Is there a way to change that image with a custom one. Or use the original screen with that progress bar from microsoft while keeping XPize for all other great things.

@XPero Thanks for the effort on this software.

Yes you can. All you have to do is replace the boot.bmp image located in C:\Windows (hidden) with your custom boot screen. Be careful, your image must use a 16-color palette and its size must be 640x480.

@XPero Thanks for ur prompt reply and help. I really appreciate wht u have done for windows customization.

All you have to do is replace the boot.bmp image located in C:\Windows (hidden) with your custom boot screen.

Can I get back the Original one of Microsoft with that progress bar. Bcz i think ur software takes backup of system files. So that at uninstallation, they are copied back.

yes you can. Simply run the XPize uninstaller (Start -> All programs -> XPize - > Uninstall), expand the Extras section and check Boot screen. Restart.

it is done :thumbup .

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Will the uninstall discussed above fix the problem where text during boot is suppressed? For example if you have scandisk set to run during boot, you see nothing except the XPize boot screen the whole time--no feedback on how the scandisk is running.

If I substitute a compatable boot.bmp, will this work just as well? I really need to be able to see the text during boot, both with scandisk and with boot-time defragmentation.

Will the uninstall discussed above fix the problem where text during boot is suppressed? For example if you have scandisk set to run during boot, you see nothing except the XPize boot screen the whole time--no feedback on how the scandisk is running.

If I substitute a compatable boot.bmp, will this work just as well? I really need to be able to see the text during boot, both with scandisk and with boot-time defragmentation.

No, you must uninstall XPize boot screen.

i'm sure there's a very good reason, but why can you not just patch the ntoskrnl file? i know pre sp2 is different to post sp2..

It is very dangerous. Also, I dont think XPize "needs" boot screen tweaking. It is not so important for me. It is important for other shell packs like MacOSX and similar. Even if you patch it, you will not get awesome results due to the colors limitation. In brief, I dont want to complicate things and f*** up users PCs.