Setting My Documents Path

I change the complete folder "Documents and Settings"

--------------------------------------------------------

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir="D:\Documents and Settings"

--------------------------------------------------------

Dansar

Free Internet !

You mean made the change in the unattend file so during the setup process will automaticaly put the "Documents and Settings" in d:\ then c:\ ?

p/s: can "Documents and Settings" be change from c:\ to d:\ after installation?

Thank you & best regards.

Billy

If I go

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir="X:\Documents and Settings"

will it create the default layout overwritting my files?

What I am trying to do is create a partition on my HD and have it store my Documents and Settings, this way I don't have to transfer my music, ebooks, etc. from my active partition to my default. So is it possible to see, Documents and Settings for say user ]Bonkers[ and no create anything?

]Bonkers[

I mean, the change in the unattend file so during the setup process will automaticaly put the "Documents and Settings" in d:\ .

I don't know how to change "Documents and Settings" from c:\ to d:\ after installation, it may be possible, but there will has many reg keys to modify.

It will not overwritte your files.

It will rename "Documents and settings" with the name of the PC in front of it, like "PC Documents and Settings".

May be we could rename the old "Documents an settings" like

"Documents an settings 01" before to reinstall, by booting with an other OS?!?

I know it is quite a problem, and i am working on it.

The best would be to unprotect the complete "Documents and settings" Folder and sub-folders before the install.

Put the following sentence into winnt.sif file

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir="Driveryouwant:\pathyouwant"

Or, if you had alreadly installed XP, then read the following article

SUMMARY

This article describes how to move a user's Documents and Settings folder.

All users profile information is stored in the %System Drive%\Documents and Settings folder. If you try to move or rename a user's Documents and Settings folder in Windows, you receive the following error message

Documents and Settings is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed.

NOTE: This article contains information about a configuration that Microsoft does not support. Microsoft provides this information for informational purposes only; Microsoft makes no guarantee that this configuration functions properly.

WARNING: Microsoft strongly recommends against renaming any system folder. System failure or an unstable computer might result if you rename system folders. Back up your computer before you use the information in this article.

To Move a User's Documents and Settings Folder

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

NOTE: This method does not relocate key Windows components. Use this method only to move user-specific data.

Identify the user's profile path. There are two methods to identify the profile path. Use either of the following methods (the user SID method is preferred):

The user SID method:

Use the Getsid tool from the Windows Server Resource Kit to obtain the SID. Use syntax that is similar to the following example:

getsid \\server1username \\server1username

After you obtain the SID, use Regedit.exe or Regedt32.exe to select the user's SID under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

The user path setting method:

Log on to the computer as the user, and then type set at a command prompt. Note the setting for USERPROFILE, and then close the command prompt window.

Log on as an administrator of the computer.

Use Registry Editor to add the USERPROFILE setting to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Click the registry key, and then click Find on the Edit menu.

In the Find box, type the value of the USERPROFILE setting, and then click Find Next.

Change the ProfilesDirectory value to use the new path that you want in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList registry key.

Quit Registry Editor, and then log on as the user. Type set at a command prompt to verify that the path has changed.

I'd rather reformat to do it. :) Does anyone know a way around Windows' desire to rename the user's directory if a directory by the same name already exists? For example, I've placed files on the cd in the $Docs directory so that during setup they get copied to Documents and Settings under my username, however, when Setup creates that user account, instead of using the username as the name for the directory to store settings in (because it already exists I guess) it adds the computer name at the end. This, of course, makes the $Docs bit rather worthless. :rolleyes: Perhaps I'll just user winrar to make an archive and extract that during setup.

Does anyone know a way around Windows' desire to rename the user's directory if a directory by the same name already exists?

If so, the setup will directly delete that whole directory. Do not use the %documents & setting% directory name as the same as the exist directory, it is dangerous!

I was reading the thread and I still am not sure on a couple of things.

dansar:

It will not overwritte your files.
What I am trying to do is have say Windows and Program files on my C:\ partition and E:\ will be for Documents and Settings.
If I go

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir="E:\Documents and Settings"

1. will it just registry the path there (and not create any of the default folders like it normally does (my music, my pictures))

2. Set the path there but create the default layout (my music, my pictures) and overwrite my files

3. See my username ]Bonkers, and create Bonkers%Compname&

4. Or something else I can't think of

Thanks

]Bonkers[