website hosted from 98 laptop?

i know theres a personal webserver on windows 98, but... hehe... does it work?

the reason i ask is, i have a compaq armada 1700 with win98 on it. i was thinking that because this computer is just sittin and not being used, why not load up my website on it and host the thing on there. i just want the pages to be hosted there, and my files hosted on tripod still. but still, i have a decent internet upload speed for just plain text.

anyway, id like to host the files there. i just wanted to know if its possible under windows 98.

if i posted this in the wrong area, im sorry, i thought this would be the best place.

thanks for reading.

it works and thats about it...

problem is when you would hit about 100 simultainious request for longer periods of time. i realy wonder if it would last for longer than 5mins...

as im about sure windows would crash...

id consider looking at somthing like D(anm) S(mall) L(inux) and installing a basic apache on it. as that would ABSOLUTELY be 1000% more stable..

id rather use windows though because the wifi card im planning on using only works under windows. i can use my other one (dlink dwl-650+) but its a much nicer card and id rather keep it in the machine im going to be using all the time.

i think i will install windows server 2000 on it, see how that works, and if i dont like it , ill put linux on it. question though, do you know if the dwl-650+ or smc 2635w wireless cards will work under DSL linux? if so, how do i get it working :blink: (keep in mind im a linux newb :lol: )

oh lol i didnt know that. well right im installing 2000 advanced server on the laptop. its old, but im not going to be using it other than for this. plus its going to be on almost all the time now, so meh. its an old 233 with 64mb of ram and a 12 inch display. maybe i should install this on my 366 dell instead? oh well, either or i dont care. ihave 2 laptops that are just sittin not being used right now.

still installing lol, i had to go have a shower cuz im going to the dentist soon so i had to let it pause at the cdkey and stuff like that. i think i had server on this and it ran just like 2k pro. but i think it will be fine, all im going to have on this computer is the webserver and the smc software. thats all i need on it to get it working. ill send you the link to the site when i get it up and running. thanks for the info so far, if this doesnt work im sure going to play around with Apache. :)

thanks a lot :) im playing with apache on my desktop, and i think i have it working, idk though. i cannot connect to my public IP like i could with server 2003, but ill figure it out. if i do it on my own, ill never forget it :P lol thanks again ZcWorld! :thumbup

yes apache WILL run well in windows 2000 (you might want to consideer Nliting windows 2k first (and use hfslip or gurgelmeyers sp5 to update it

there are lots and lots of services you could remove to get it faster...

i have installed 2000 advanced server, and im trying to get it hosted on the laptop. but dang this is proving to be harder than i remember. i had windows server 2003 working fine in less than 20 minutes and this one has taken a lot longer >.<

any tutorials on how to set up a webserver with 2000 advanced server?

edit:

WOO HOO! i got it :D i just had to forward port 80 to my laptop and that did it.

now i just have to set up all the power options on the laptop to only shut down uneccessary things, then itll be perfect. thank you guys all for the help. thank you very much.

heres the site, see if it works for you.

Edited by brian10161

lol yah, thanks a lot for all the replies and spending your time to help me :)

now im off to eat breakfast, man im hungry, havent eaten all morning.

Edited by brian10161