[Help] Unable to disconnect network connection

amenx

This is a problem I had last year which I think I only resolved by restoring a system backup.

I am unable to disconnect the network connection by right-clicking it to "disable". It gives me this message:

"It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug-and-play or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account"

There is no 'other user' besides me, no other accounts. Tried many things including disabling 'plug and play', enabling all network priviliges in GPEDIT.MSC, uninstalling/reinstalling the network adapter, disabling the firewall and other network services, disabling Windows Update, nothing seems to work. I only have the TCP/IP Internet Protocol enabled in the network adapter properties. Tried just about everything including searching MS Knowledge base and googling for over an hour.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Just disable the network adapter, it has the same effect.

Thanks, yes I'm aware I can disable it by going the long way: Contol Panel/System Properties/Hardware/Device Manager/Network Adapters/D-link NIC. I just prefered doing it the easy way by right-clicking the network icon in the system tray and disabling it there. But apparently theres a malfunction thats preventing it from doing so. I want to fix this malfunction rather than live with it.

I think you may be right. The drivers I was using for the NIC were the 'latest' update, but they could be the problem. Uninstalled it, but his time let Windows automatically install its own default drivers for the NIC and it worked.