Resize dynamic disk 's on a windows 2003 Server ?

gicio

Hi to all,

I have here a windows 2003 server running.

This server has two HDDs ( RAID 1 ) as dynamic disk s.

The "great" admin set the size of C only to 10 gigs ( D has over 100 gigs ).

After install some important stuff on C I have now only 400 mb free space.

How I can resize the C drive?

Is it any possiblity to extand a dynamic disk?

Regards,

gicio

PS.: Please do not answer that partition magic or Acronis Disk Director Server can handle this... THEY CAN'T....

I have try it ;(

If there is free space or another drive you obviously can extend the volume using the free space.

I thought acronis disk director server could handle this tasks. Did you try to do it online or offline with the boot cd ?

It should only work offline as it can not resize the boot partition online.

If those doesn't work you'd have either to reinstall (because MS say you can go back to basic disk to when the bootable partition is dynamic) or to install new applications to the other drive.

• 2 years later...
Hi to all,

I have here a windows 2003 server running.

This server has two HDDs ( RAID 1 ) as dynamic disk s.

The "great" admin set the size of C only to 10 gigs ( D has over 100 gigs ).

After install some important stuff on C I have now only 400 mb free space.

How I can resize the C drive?

Is it any possiblity to extand a dynamic disk?

Regards,

gicio

PS.: Please do not answer that partition magic or Acronis Disk Director Server can handle this... THEY CAN'T....

I have try it ;(

Gicio

Did you happen to find a solution to this problem? I have the same problem with the last Admin set the "C" drive to only 10GB with RAID1 dynamic disks.

Edited by todarsey

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have found some software that will clone a dynamic disk. It's called HDClone. My problem is now this.

With HDClone, I can do a drive to drive clone to a new hard drive and the computer will boot with the new drive. However, when I try to do a partition to partition clone to a larger partition for the "C" drive the computer will not boot at all. Do you have any recomendations for me? Is it the MBR or what?

• 5 months later...

What I ended up doing was this. I backed up the server to Windows Home Server and I took a spare hd I had and restored to that on another computer. When the restore was complete, I took out the dynamic mirrored disks and installed the drive I just restored to. Worked like a charm and it is now a basic disk.

• 1 month later...
"backed up the server" - this is a commond method, but it is imconvenient, as you have to backup, delete the partitions, rebuild the parttions, restore

This is not a command method when using Windows Home Server, it is all GUI. And if you do a restore from the backup, you only have to decide how big you want the partition to be or use the whole HD and it will then be a Basic Disk.

Edited by todarsey