p2p/router firewall problem

Hi i have a problem. i just got a new router today, a Netgear WGT624 ver 3 to be exact. So then i install it and everything worked fine and dandy. Then there is my p2p program, with shareaza. i open it for the first time, it works fine, but it says something about a firewall and saying i should disable it. so i close shareaza. i tried to disable it and couldn't find out how. then i opened up shareaza again and it freezes my computer. i had to manually shut it off and restart it. after the restart, i reopen it and it freezes again. can someone help me fix this? thanks.

Edited by BombaTwist

ok i follow the steps and all but then i get this error after the last step.

"Server IP address cannot be router's LAN IP address."

I used the ip the site gave me.

edit:Nevermind i got it.

thanks.

Edited by BombaTwist

so both the freezing and i can download again are fixed, but my downloads are really slow. I disabled the Windows XP SP2 Firewall. But i don't know how to disable the router firewall, i disabled something called the

SPI Firewall - The SPI (Stateful Packet Inpection) Firewall protects your LAN against Denial of Service attacks. This should only be disabled in special circumstances.

Don't know if thats the right one or not.

I also disabled the "Trend Micro Security Services"

tried searching but it kept showing results for other routers. =/. They are slow even when im the only one using the connection, gaming is fine and everything else, just my dls are slow, and there are alot of seeds on the torrents i download. =/.

edit:

So i ran a test "http://lax.speedtest.dslextreme.com/speed.php"

Here are my results:

"dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-06-18 11:10:51 EST:

1232 / 314

Your download speed : 1232 kbps or 154 KB/sec.

That is 56% worse than an average user on dslextreme.com

Your upload speed : 314 kbps or 39.2 KB/sec.

That is 30.2% worse than an average user on dslextreme.com"

My ISP is DSLextreme by the way, Southern Cali.

edit2: i ping myself at yahoo.com and here are my results. It might be of help maybe?

"reply from 66.94.234.13 bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=57"

Edited by BombaTwist

what do you mean by describe my network setup. Its DSL lol.

Heres another test.

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-06-20 02:12:29 EST:

1146 / 313

Your download speed : 1146 kbps or 143.3 KB/sec.

That is 60.7% worse than an average user on dslextreme.com

Your upload speed : 313 kbps or 39.2 KB/sec.

That is 32.2% worse than an average user on dslextreme.com

Time tested: 11:13 P.M. PST

Edited by BombaTwist

so:

internet -> DSL modem -> netgear router -> ?

what's the rest of your setup like? I.E. how many PC's are connected to your router? Are they connected wirelessly, wired?

DON'T DISABLE YOUR SPI FIREWALL on the router. Leave that enabled!

It is quite possible DSLextreme has capped only p2p traffic. Were your downloads faster before you put the router in place?

so:

internet -> DSL modem -> netgear router -> ?

what's the rest of your setup like? I.E. how many PC's are connected to your router? Are they connected wirelessly, wired?

DON'T DISABLE YOUR SPI FIREWALL on the router. Leave that enabled!

It is quite possible DSLextreme has capped only p2p traffic. Were your downloads faster before you put the router in place?

Internet --> DSL Modem --> Netgear Router --> Only one wireless card for moms laptop, and she barely uses the connection.

only 2 pc connected to the router, mine that im using right now and my mom laptop. And i usually download when she is not using it and not on it at all.

And yes my downloads were faster before my router installed. this comp is connected wired. i download like 30kb and less, before they were like around 60kb.

does your router have a QOS (quality of service) section? Is it enabled? If so, I'd disable it, then run a speedtest, and see if you're downloads improve.

Unfortunately if you have set up everything correctly in your router, and your downloads are still slower, it's possible your router just can't handle the amount of simultaneous connections required to run a p2p program

I have the exact same router btw except it's v2 and with the latest firmware (v4.2.10_1.0.1), and it has no effect on my bandwidth.

Update the router firmware. Try putting your ip in the DMZ.

Do you have any applications actively downloading/uploading on any of your computers while you're running these speed tests?

Try the speakeasy.net speed test.

[edit] MOVED

i heard the latest version for my router "KILLS" it. i don't know what that means, but it doesn't sound good. should i take the risk?

my Dowload speed is 1248kbps and Upload speed is 208 kbps, tested on Speakeasy.

And also no i don't have the QOS thing.

Try putting your IP in the DMZ first. If that doesn't work, install the latest firmware that is 'known good'...if reports are rampant that the current firmware is bad then use the last version that wasn't a lemon.