PCI in a PCIE

Nerwin

OK this has had me ROFLMAO for a LONG time. But believe me I work for a semiconductor manf. and we actually have people that are that way repairing equipment. These people are given the job title of Tech/jr. Eng. Once they do something like this they are moved to management :wacko::wacko: . Guess that's why I don't get promoted :) . I am constantly cleaning these guys F*** UP's every day. So everyday for me is a laughing matter :thumbup:thumbup . Sad for the equipment and company as I still wonder how they operate this way. They have even told the manufacturers of some equipment that they (The Co. I work with) that they could do better than the manufacturer. This has brought a smile to my face during meetings with vendors.

jd

PCI-X is somewhat backwards compatible with a standard PCI bus and its early extensions. Originally the PCI bus was a 5 Volt bus. Later, in PCI Revision 2.x the PCI bus was a dual voltage interconnect. In 3.0 this was changed to 3.3 Volt only. The PCI-X bus is not compatible with 5 Volt cards. However, generally most newer PCI and faster devices will run in a PCI-X slot, however, they will limit the speed of the entire bus. For example a PCI 2.3 device running at 32-bit and 66 Mhz in a PCI-X 133 bus will limit the total throughput of the bus to 266 MB/s. To get around this limitation, many motherboard have separate PCI-X channels, allowing for better backwards compatibility, and higher total bandwidth. PCI-X is also more designed to be more fault tolerant than PCI. For example, PCI-X has provisions to reinitialize or deactivate a faulty card before a total system failure occurs.

Edited by EAT MY DUST

• 2 weeks later...
WTF!? doesnt that seem a bit rediculous...as it said, you wont be abel to shut ur case, but also u wont be able to line up your backplate! :S
Which is also what I said in my first post in this thread.

However, it'll probably work fine with half-height cards