comitt in 2k sp4

I installed windows 2000 sp4 on my dads computer, an old del 400 processor and 64 mb of ram. After careful disabling of services the comitt is around 18 mb :blink: yes 18, but the desktop takes an extremly long time to appear. Is there a servive responcible for this.

if your commit is that low, the os is probably spending all of that time looking for DLLs that aren't there. i mean, you'll have a commit of 20 without internet explorer; to get it down 2 more megs you're probably ripping out a little more than most people.

These are the only services that you should be able to shutdown without significant problems. Go over there and turn the rest on.

Computer Browser

Error Reporting Service

Help and Support

Indexing Service

Messenger (pop-up spam vulnerability)

NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing

Performance Logs and Alerts

Protected storage (stores passwords and enables ato-complete)

Remote Registry (remote access to your registry)

Routing and Remote Access (enables dial-in routing to your computer)

Secondary Logon

Task Scheduler

agreed -- this whole "myth of services" will not gain you any performance when you shut them all down. turn what you can back on. i don't quite get how you got commit so low, i have only seen 38 to 40 in win 2000... a default install of win98 will use 18 megs of commit, so what you've got is impressive, yes, but with the problems that will probably crop up, maybe not worth it.

time, i think, to add some things back in for your dad so he doesn't have to put up with that kind of delay.

or, if he just surfs the net and writes a few letters, set up kubuntu or something :D

Yes I doubt that services have a lot to do with speed, but some people seem to be obsessive. I've been trying to tell Jdurall (aka dirtwarrior) for ages that committ isnt everything. Oh well....

I learned this now functionality is more important. BTW it was your 2k classic enhanced I was able to get this comitt in, When I put it on mine The lowest I got was 31 mb in comitt.

If you use a desktop search tool be sure to turn off the Indexing Service as thats just an extra service that really isnt needed.

Yes I doubt that services have a lot to do with speed, but some people seem to be obsessive. I've been trying to tell Jdurall (aka dirtwarrior) for ages that committ isnt everything. Oh well....

I learned this now functionality is more important. BTW it was your 2k classic enhanced I was able to get this comitt in, When I put it on mine The lowest I got was 31 mb in comitt.

A lot of it is to do with drivers. In VMware I can get XP down to 25mb comitt, but on real hardware the minimum is around 37mb, just because of my drivers. It varies from system to system.