Hide C drive in WinXP

preben

I'm running a large network, and want to limit users to store either on a local disk that is not a system drive, or a network based disk.

So basicly just hide the c:\ icon would help alot.

Then I'll just add a norun value to registry, and it's locked :)

// Preben

Are you refering to the administrative (C$) share? This is shared for Domain administrative purposes, and if you're not an Admin, those who are may frown on disabling this share--but I'll let you worry about wether or not your reasons for disabling the share are legitimate.

The problem with turning off the C$ share is that everytime your system is rebooted, it re-appears. There are several ways to remove it permanently, but the one I like the best is by adding this vb script:

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colShares = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Share Where Name = 'C$'")

On error resume next
For Each objShare in colShares
objShare.Delete
Next

WScript.quit

EDIT: Just read your last post, and realized that what you are trying to do is much different from what I described above--so you can just disregard it.

Edited by TheFlash428

By default I move the My Documents folder to D drive on newly built systems so naturally the user files get saved there in stead of system drive. I also disable system restore for this drive. I even set this folder for internet downloads.

In situations of disaster it is a simple matter to reformat c: & do a fresh install. Data never gets affected.

By default I move the My Documents folder to D drive on newly built systems so naturally the user files get saved there in stead of system drive. I also disable system restore for this drive. I even set this folder for internet downloads.

In situations of disaster it is a simple matter to reformat c: & do a fresh install. Data never gets affected.

Are you running a domain? If you are then it's simply a case of using the group policy management console to create a policy applied to certain users to either hide the C drive or prevent access to it completley. Both of these policies are in User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer.

I cannot find it under user configuration (yes, I'm in an AD enviroment).

I can find some similarities under Computer Configurations.

But only with one value : "Turn off shell protocol protected mode". Is this the value ?

Thank you all guys for helping me out on this, and for the quick replies.

// Preben