No desktop after electricity failure

ColMaki

Hi there,

A friend of mine is running a computer with Windows XP SP2. Yesterday is house had an electricity failure and after that he can't login to his computer. XP boot up, displays the users list, he clicks on the users and the screen goes blank. Same in safe mode.

Anyone got any ideas were to start? I'm think about doing a repair install but only as a last resort 'cause when M$ is fixing things who knows what will come out of it.

generally speaking, microsoft fixes things better than any power failure :lol: (say that many times very fast)

before trying what you think, you may do a chkdsk (with the recovery console) because power failures are very likely to damage the disk.

++

Edited by Delprat

generally speaking, microsoft fixes things better than any power failure :lol: (say that many times very fast)

before trying what you think, you may do a chkdsk (with the recovery console) because power failures are very likely to damage the disk.

++

I agree, I would do a chkdsk first--I have used it many times before, and while it doesn't always solve my problem, it has never made things worse.

Hi there,

A friend of mine is running a computer with Windows XP SP2. Yesterday is house had an electricity failure and after that he can't login to his computer. XP boot up, displays the users list, he clicks on the users and the screen goes blank. Same in safe mode.

Anyone got any ideas were to start? I'm think about doing a repair install but only as a last resort 'cause when M$ is fixing things who knows what will come out of it.

Sounds more like the explorer shell isn't starting to be honest. When it goes blank, open the task manager by CTRL-SHIFT-ESC and then go to file, new and type explorer.exe :)