How to password protect a shared folder?

Hi all,

Can anybody help me how to password protect my folder in windos xp without using a third - party software? As such, when a user will connect to my shared folder, they will be prompted to type in a password. In the same way, when I access a shared folder, say for example, Mike's shared folder, I will be prompted to type in Mike's password too. Thank you very much.

Just restrict the security on this folder via the security tab when you do properties on the folder. You need to create before a local user which will have acces to this folder if there isn't one already. Then on the security tabs remove everyone, users, guests and power users and add the newly user and of course your user if you're not member of the administrators group.

Hi Allen2, it doesnt work. No dialog box pops out wen I connect to a shared folder. Instead there is an error msg that says, it is not accessible, you might not have network permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator....

Try to also modify the security on the share.

Also, when mapping the network share, do it via this command from a dos box:

net use * \\remote_computer\remote_share /u:remote_computer\remote_user remote_user_password

where:
- remote_computer is the computername of the computer you're trying to connect to
- remote_share is the name of the share on the remote computer
- remote_user is the user your created with the rights on the share
- remote_user_password is the password of this user

This should connect the first free drive letter to the share.

If not please post the error you get in the dos box.

Edited by allen2

ok there are two possibilities.fst through share permission,snd through ntfs permission.anyway you dont remove everyone from permission list instead remove their access ability and dont deny them neither.just uncheck all the boxs(no diff using ntfs or share permission)and then add the users u want have access and allow the permissions you want.

let me know if it worked.