Internet connection question

NateM

My notebook's ethernet port no longer detects the ethernet cord that is attatched to my router. When I directly connect my modem to my ethernet port, it says something like, "limited or no connection." And it only detects that half the time, and most recently my port does not detect any wired connection. I asked another forum about this and the guy told me to uninstal my SP2. I can not find Windows Service Pack 2 in my "add or remove programs." This is weird because I have noticed in there before but it is not there and I didn't uninstall it myself. I have tried system restore but that has done nothing to help. My port has always detected the internet until most recently. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

If sp2 is slipstreamed then you can't uninstall it. But if you install it post sp0 or sp1, you can uninstall it.

I get limited or no connectivity in virtual pc. But that's emulated wireless internet and only when I am downloading something while vpc is open.

My notebook's ethernet port no longer detects the ethernet cord that is attatched to my router. When I directly connect my modem to my ethernet port, it says something like, "limited or no connection."
This would imply a failure to get a valid DHCP lease - the "limited" part means that Windows assigned itself an APIPA address (169.254.x.x).

Check the basic things first:

- when the ethernet cable is connected to the computer and the router, do you have lights a both ends?

- have you tried a different cable?

- are there other computers using the router that are not having problems?

- have you tried power-cycling the router?

Start "cmd" at the Run prompt, then enter the following command:

ipconfig /all

What does that report?

If even connecting the modem into your computer directly doesn't work, I suspect your NIC or cable has had it.

Or possibly you installed some beta software which puts a filter driver into the network stack like I did with the 64-bit version of Zone Alarm, and it subsequently borked all IP connectivity through my NIC - but I think you would know if you had done something like that :)

I would disregard any advice about uninstalling SP2.

If it is simply a matter of not getting an IP address, checking the IP config will answer. Most comerical routers will assign an IP address similar to 192.168.x.x, which is the most common private IP address space for small networks.

As Mr Snrub mentioned below, if windows sees a connection, but cannot establish an address, you'll have an address similar to 169.254.x.x

To correct this problem, open your Network Connections folder and open the properties menu of you LAN connection--make sure that under the properties of the TCP/IP, that "obtain an IP address automatically" is checked.

Some other questions:

In the device manager, are there any flags for the NIC card? -- have you tried updating the hardware device drivers? -- Did this problem occur immediately after installing SP2 (or any fresh XP install), or was it working before and then just stopped working?

If the last is true, it may just be that the NIC card is fried--the key is always to try to figure what the last thing you did to the PC was prior to the loss of connection. Also, if you know when it happened, you may be able to try a system restore (if it is turned on).

Yes it just stopped working. I failed to mention that we had a guy come check out computers because none were receiving the internet. He said it had something to do with lightning that had struck the night before. He did something to supposedly fix it, but only this computer receives the net now, and not my notebook. I did system restore several times and nothing has fixed it.

(-That box is also checked)

I also did the "ipconfig /all"

it sais, "Windows IP Configuration"

I've tried different cables, I've power-cycled the router, the computer that I am on experiences no problem with the router, and the light never came on the router even when it was directing the net towards my notebook.

I think I am just going to send this crap back to Dell and demand this be taken care of. The touchpad never worked properly, the f7 key came popped off, and it does not play dvd's properly. I am at odds with technology right now. :angry:

Well, if it says nothing more than "Windows IP Configuration", and does not list any devices or thier respective IP configurations, than it looks like your notebook doesn't even acknowlege your NIC card as being present--so my best guess would be that the problem does lie at the hardware level. Your suggested solution may be the best, but prepare for headaches (if you don't already have them!).

If it is simply a matter of not getting an IP address, checking the IP config will answer. Most comerical routers will assign an IP address similar to 192.168.x.x, which is the most common private IP address space for small networks.

As Mr Snrub mentioned below, if windows sees a connection, but cannot establish an address, you'll have an address similar to 169.254.x.x

To correct this problem, open your Network Connections folder and open the properties menu of you LAN connection--make sure that under the properties of the TCP/IP, that "obtain an IP address automatically" is checked.

Some other questions:

In the device manager, are there any flags for the NIC card? -- have you tried updating the hardware device drivers? -- Did this problem occur immediately after installing SP2 (or any fresh XP install), or was it working before and then just stopped working?

If the last is true, it may just be that the NIC card is fried--the key is always to try to figure what the last thing you did to the PC was prior to the loss of connection. Also, if you know when it happened, you may be able to try a system restore (if it is turned on).

I beg to differ. Windows will assign itself 169.254.x.x ip address if it cannot find a dhcp server on the network. In this event you might try a different aproach. Uncheck "obtain an IP address automatically". Go to one of the other PCs on your network & check out its IP address. Copy the same while changing the last set of digits. You might get an error message of conflict. You might have to try several different values to arrive at one which works. Start with 250.

Another thing you might try is disable the built in ethernet in bios. Uninstall your NIC in device manager while displaying hidden devices. Go back to bios & enable your nic. Windows should detect & install your nic. If both these fail call your hardware vendor.