[how-to] Removeing the WGA "update"

janus zeal

@Ophiel X - I've got the WGA tool on my computer and I've got no problems whatsoever. None of my friends that I talk to have had problems with it either. Aside from when it was first installed, I haven't seen it appear since. If you've got problems with the utility - contact Microsoft.

@LLXX - Yes you own all the hardware in your computer. What you decide to do with it is your decision. The licence that you bought from Microsoft does NOT give you the right to do whatever you want with Windows. It gives you the right to use Windows. It's like giving some one the keys and full access to use a car, but they don't own the car itself. If you don't like it, go buy a different car.

As for the comparisons with CD-burning programs - it's totally different. With a legal copy of Windows, you shouldn't have any troubles in the end. If you've got an illegal copy of Windows, then the tool does its job. A CD burning program can be used for just about any purpose - legal or illegal.

How would you two like it if millions of people started stealing your product? The post stays the way it is.

Oh I get it now. Because you and some of your friends didn't experience any problems with it, then you're implying those of us (like me) who did MUST be using an illegal copy and its doing its job??? This is the original XP that came with this Dell when I got it. If you want to call me a liar, then thats your problem. The thing didn't mess with my system OTHER than stay in the system tray and it brought down the fps on my new games. Now that it's gone, all is well again. Do you play first person shooter games? Do your friends? Even if you do and you still respond that nothing happened, consider the many different variables from each person's computer and software setup.

it's not your job to keep m$ from losing money. do you own stock or what?

No, it's not my job to keep Microsoft from loosing money, but it's my job here on MSFN to make sure that there isn't any illegal discussion. FYI, there was at one time such discussion here. It caught the attention of Microsoft's eye and MSFN was down for a while. I (and probably several others on this board) would rather that not happen because of a post like this one.

Oh I get it now. Because you and some of your friends didn't experience any problems with it, then you're implying those of us (like me) who did MUST be using an illegal copy and its doing its job??? This is the original XP that came with this Dell when I got it. If you want to call me a liar, then thats your problem. The thing didn't mess with my system OTHER than stay in the system tray and it brought down the fps on my new games. Now that it's gone, all is well again. Do you play first person shooter games? Do your friends? Even if you do and you still respond that nothing happened, consider the many different variables from each person's computer and software setup.

Who said anything about lying or stealing? I have never directly accused anyone of using a pirated copy of XP, nor should I. How would I know what you're running on your computer? Don't put words in my mouth - it's not nice and it doesn't help the situation.

I don't play first-person-shooters, but in all the other games I play (racing, RPG, etc), I haven't noticed any significant slowdown from one hotfix to the next. I've got some pretty crazy gamer friends, and yet they haven't had any problems with their systems either.

I can understand that there might be problems from computer to computer, but the doesn't mean that we should go and find the quickest crack to get rid of it. Windows is a closed-source operating system, and hacking files to get around activation and validation checks is simply WRONG on so many levels.

Who said anything about lying or stealing? I have never directly accused anyone of using a pirated copy of XP, nor should I. How would I know what you're running on your computer? Don't put words in my mouth - it's not nice and it doesn't help the situation.

I don't play first-person-shooters, but in all the other games I play (racing, RPG, etc), I haven't noticed any significant slowdown from one hotfix to the next. I've got some pretty crazy gamer friends, and yet they haven't had any problems with their systems either.

I can understand that there might be problems from computer to computer, but the doesn't mean that we should go and find the quickest crack to get rid of it. Windows is a closed-source operating system, and hacking files to get around activation and validation checks is simply WRONG on so many levels.

I didn't post a crack or anything like that. You're still missing my point and will probably never get it with your logic. I have a valid LEGIT version of XP. I downloaded the tool because it forced me to in order to move onto other downloads. The tool, I'm quite sure, did its job since I was still able to use windows and didn't get any messages that I had an illegal copy. BUT, after it validated me, there should be a way to turn the friggin thing off....to get it out of my system tray. But there wasn't! SO I was FORCED to find a way to delete the thing in order to get my smooth fps back.

LOOK, I just forked out $800 in the last 3 weeks on upgrading to a widescreen flat panel, an ati x800xt platinum video card, and an X-fi soundcard! Do you really think I'm going to let that incompetent validation tool come in the way of the games I was enjoying before I downloaded it? From one gamer to another, think about it man.

If you are using ANY NAME BRAND PC and you reinstall XP Home or Pro the normal activation via the Internet will not work, you have to call Microsoft at 1-888-571-2048 and activate over the phone.

I install OEM (system builder) versions of Home and Pro every day of the week and recently have had the "Blue Star" in the System Tray after initial install with Nlite, RyanVM, Bashrat drivers with a NEW SER # during install. I add all the programs the client needs and then I "Activate Windows". You then have to goto Microsoft and "WGA Activate", the Blue Star goes away.

The above leaves nothing in the system tray.

Did you goto Microsoft's web site and do the WGA fully ?????

:hello:

"Discussion of CD-burning programs is not allowed because they can be used to make illegal copies of software

it also can be used to make a backup copy of legal software you bought with your hard earned $

which is not illegal.I agree with many others on this forum it a lot of favoritism going on

with specific topics which is unfair to other :realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I cannot believe that this thread hasn't been locked!

I know that the Mods aren't always correct, in this case however that is not true, but if you wish to further argue your case, do so like this:

either

• PM or email the appropriate authority

or

• Start a thread for the attention an appropriate party in 'Site and Forum Issues'

Edited by Yzöwl

I didn't post a crack or anything like that. You're still missing my point and will probably never get it with your logic. I have a valid LEGIT version of XP. I downloaded the tool because it forced me to in order to move onto other downloads. The tool, I'm quite sure, did its job since I was still able to use windows and didn't get any messages that I had an illegal copy. BUT, after it validated me, there should be a way to turn the friggin thing off....to get it out of my system tray. But there wasn't! SO I was FORCED to find a way to delete the thing in order to get my smooth fps back.

LOOK, I just forked out $800 in the last 3 weeks on upgrading to a widescreen flat panel, an ati x800xt platinum video card, and an X-fi soundcard! Do you really think I'm going to let that incompetent validation tool come in the way of the games I was enjoying before I downloaded it? From one gamer to another, think about it man.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. You did post a workaround on how to remove the validation check. Doing so is illegal. You may have the Product Key sticker on the side of your case, but what you did and what you suggested that everyone else did is illegal. If you don't understand this, take a step back from your own computer and FPS count and look at what could be done with the information you wanted to provide.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting the most out of your system, but I also think that telling the rest of the world how to work around (i.e. get rid of) the hotfix is wrong. If you look at other members here, they've also had the icon pop up and then go away. I have yet to see it again since I installed it, like BigBrit said as well. Think about it from other peoples' point of view.

I cannot believe that this thread hasn't been locked!

I know that the Mods aren't always correct, in this case however that is not true, but if you wish to further argue your case, do so like this:

either

• PM or email the appropriate authority

or

• Start a thread for the attention an appropriate party in 'Site and Forum Issues'

I left this thread open with some hesitation. I was hoping that people might see that what they were doing was legally and morally wrong. Apparently this wasn't the case.

As for starting the thread in 'Site and Forum Issues' - it's already been done and closed. - Link

This discussion ends here. No more talk about how to circumvent the WGA tool. Any further topics will be closed and members will be warned.

Topic Closed

P.S. I'm wondering how many of the users who have had problems use nLite... maybe there's a connection or something that gets broken? It's worth investigating if you want to get to the bottom of this legally.