Change start menu behavior

CLASYS

'scuse if this is an old topic:

I have a large/long Start Menu in 98SE and the default behavior is to show only the elements that fit from top down. At the bottom is an arrow I can place the cursor on that will send the menu up, eventually so only the bottom most are on the screen and the arrow is now on the top. Stopping short of this, arrows will appear on the top and bottom.

Isn't there a setting somewhere to make it instead open multiple column so that all of the items are on the screen at the same time [unless I run out of screen space for all the columns!].

I believe this is the default behavior for Win95 that I seek.

On a related note: How do you get sorting of the Start Menu items? I run CCleaner to remove something called the menu-order cache, this seems to help.

tia,

cjl

Mine is plenty long as well (72 items)... I know that XP allows to switch between scrolling and opening a second menu list but I don't think there is such an option in 98se.

As for sorting the start menu...

rcsm7zw.png

you can change the behaviour by a registry tweak

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"StartMenuScrollPrograms"="NO"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]

i generated this with xsetup so try that if it doesnt work or ask mdgx because he probably knows

you can change the behaviour by a registry tweak

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]

i generated this with xsetup so try that if it doesnt work or ask mdgx because he probably knows

Yes he does, it's on his site:

link

Mine is plenty long as well (72 items)... I know that XP allows to switch between scrolling and opening a second menu list but I don't think there is such an option in 98se.

rcsm7zw.png

Perhaps because of 98lite CHUBBY shell, but no such option when I right-click on the Start Menu

cjl

rcsm7zw.png

Perhaps because of 98lite CHUBBY shell, but no such option when I right-click on the Start Menu

cjl

I don't use 98lite. This is a standard explorer.exe v4.10.2222

The registry change should just change the startmenu in columns rather than a scrolling column i wouldnt of thought it had anything to do with 98lite
That's correct. And it works fine in 98lite. However, I don't seem to have a sort menu command!

Perhaps there is a registry patch to restore that function?

cjl