Serious problems with system.

Nemosta

If this is in the wrong forum, I apologise as this is XP related and I couldn't find a Hardware Problems forum.

2 days ago. Intalled CloneCD for a specific backup task, but had trouble burning so I started up 1 Virtual Drive. I used this function before I formatted my computer and it didn't have any problems, now my operating system has gone very buggy. All icons are mismatched, and although the CD drive reads the data I place it takes a while and seems to struggle.

I'll demonstrate and make clear what happened with images.

Desk1.jpg

Desk2.jpg

In the first image, the drive with the blurred text (Blurred for personal reasons, so let's just call it "Dot") is my CD drive. Dot was the name of the CD I placed in when activating the Virtual Drive. Once restarting, the default name of my CD drive (DVD/CD) permanently became Dot and the icon changed into the "Unknown filetype" icon. Even deactivating the Virtual Drive didn't help, nor did deleting CloneCD.

The second image, you can tell that the Virtual Drive has tinkered with the Adobe Photoshop icon, as they're all changed to some random image.

I wasn't wanting to reformat my hard drive because of this problem, but if it is the only solution I'll have to consider it.

Just to make things simpler for you, let me give my specs:

CloneCD version: 4.2.0.2

CD Drive: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2102

Windows Version: XP Professional.

One more thing I forgot to add, after restarting once activating the Virtual Drive it didn't become active, just all the icons changed and the drive began struggling.

If you could help, I would be very grateful.

-Nemosta

u know i have had this problem befor. Im not sure of its casue, nor of its fix.....i recall it just stoping...out of no where just as randomly as it began.

Might not be the best news...but i just thought id let you know your not the only one out there....

Maybe try clearing internt cash and history. and uninstalling any apps u might not use. Additionaly making sure that apps dont overlay in what extentions they open.

sorry i couldent be more help

|Drew|