setup.exe wrapper

Has anyone already done this? - Made a custom setup.exe to replace the WinXP setup.exe? Perhaps done in C++ and something as simple as calling a batch file, that could, for instance, partition the drive, and THEN start the WinXP setup file. (thanks alextoft)

Since the booting environment isn't exactly DOS, what batch file partitioning commands are available? I only know FDISK.

[related]

AFAIK, you can have problems accessing files in the "my documents" folders (when accessing from another system), because of NTFS built in permissions. So I use FAT32 to not have this happen.

[/related]

AFAIK, you can have problems accessing files in the "my documents" folders (when accessing from another system), because of NTFS built in permissions. So I use FAT32 to not have this happen.

Yes but main thing is don't set that tweak that will copy the ACLs with the file's when you copy them somewhere. Did you know when copying to a CD/DVD since it's not NTFS it don't copy permissions.

Did you know also that if you run into something like that all you need to do is use xcacls and it will fix the problem right up. Of course you have to use it in a way it will parse sub Folders.

Been there done that and I'm sticking to NTFS. :thumbup

MaxXPsoft (edit: I mean, amit_talkin): Not quite. Your link refers to GUI mode welcome screen hacks. GUI mode is only used when you start the cd on a running windows system.

I think that's what GUI mode is... I remember reading something about "GUI mode setup" a long time ago, but don't know if this is what it refers to.

I want to rename the WinXP setup.exe to something else, say winxp.exe, and put a setup.exe in its place that will call a batch file.

In the batch file, I hope to do the partitioning and then call winxp.exe.

Edited by mraeryceos

I posted no link maybe amit_talkin

I talked of ACLs

Bashrat does this with his BTS packs replacing the setup.exe. Maybe you need to look at what he's doing. There are programs will take a batch and turn it into an exe. Do a Google

I use this for my setup.

Maybe this will get you where you want too go.

The new setup.exe [NSIS installer]

Name "Unattended XP - DVD © 2005 - Setup"

!define SOURCE "E:\WXPFPP_EN - UNATTENDED DVD FILES\Setup Replacement"

OutFile "${SOURCE}\SETUP.EXE"

Icon "${SOURCE}\Setup.ico"

VIAddVersionKey "FileDescription" "Windows NT Setup Executable"

VIAddVersionKey "CompanyName" "Microsoft Corporation"

VIProductVersion "5.1.2600.2180"

VIAddVersionKey "ProductName" "Microsoft® Windows® Operating System"

VIAddVersionKey "Internal Name" "SETUP.EXE"

VIAddVersionKey "Original File name" "SETUP.EXE"

VIAddVersionKey "Product Version" "5.1.2600.2180"

VIAddVersionKey "LegalCopyright" "© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."

VIAddVersionKey "FileVersion" "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

SilentInstall silent

Function .onInit

SetSilent silent

FunctionEnd

Section "Installer"

SetOverwrite on

SetOutPath "$%SYSTEMDRIVE%\TEMP"

File "${SOURCE}\SOURCE FILES\StartX.exe"

Sleep 3000

ExecWait '"$%SYSTEMDRIVE%\TEMP\StartX.exe"'

SectionEnd

Setup.exe will extract the file StartX.exe to %SYSTEMDRIVE%\TEMP and runs the File.

StartX.exe is a compiled CMD file. This file will start an other executable which will decrypt and extracts temporary files that I need for the unattended setup later. The important thing to remember is that the process setup.exe (the fake one) doesn't terminate. This will end the setup of XP.

Hope this will get you started.

Glim

BTW: XP can autopartition your disk trough winnt.sif.