Administrators only error message at windows update

I recently reinstalled win98se on 2 computers, one of which I also installed 98SE2ME on. I then networked them together. I have 2 issues, one large and one trivial, I can't update the computer with 98SE2ME on the windows update site. I get an error message-"Administrators Only (-2146828218) To install items from Windows Update, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure." I have searched the MS knowledge base and several windows networking help sites but I am not coming up with anything. Could this be related to the 98SE2ME install? My other anomaly is when setting up networking I went thru the procedure for sharing drives i.e. shared as C but on the 98SE2ME computer I don't get the sharing hand under the drive like I did with the 98SE computer. It works fine and I can share files but I am just curious why this happened. My issue with windows update is something that I would really like to figure out. I haven't tried it or installed it but would the system policy editor help? It didn't seem to me that it would but I could easily be mistaken. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Urge

I've been using 98SE2ME on my PC for over 5 years [gazillions of variants], and never had any WU/WUC/OU access problems.

The only time I experienced this issue was right after I installed Q912812 patch from MS.

The bug + its fix [urlMONFX.EXE] are described here:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#IEC

Scroll down to "BUGS:".

Then install URLMONFX.EXE. That should fix your problem.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...